Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Other Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-03-2012, 12:55 PM   #1 
ao
TFK Moderator

Arrow Please help me ID our goldfish!

So we've had these guys since they were eggs. They live in what I believe to be a 50gal - please note that this is a pond. When the water used to be clearer, we've had all but two vanish, which we believe to be the work of our local kingfishers. The onset of winter has sent our water lilies into dormancy. algal blooms and green water have since taken over

So can anyone tell me, is this fellow some other type of goldfish or just a very fat comet? It doesn't have a fancy tail.

If it is just fat, I have no idea how it happened. My mom is feeding them sparingly every second day. We also added 4 tiny fantails. I'm thinking of selling a couple when they outgrow the pond.

Any suggestions and tips on goldfish for this goldfish noob is welcome!
ao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 01:03 PM   #2 
LebronTheBetta

I think that it's a fat Comet. If you took away the fat, it will look like a Comet. Maybe it's eating the algae?
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 01:12 PM   #3 
Laki

It looks fantail to me.
If it was a comet and extremely fat, I would be concerned. I never seen a comet that rotund.
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 10:04 PM   #4 
ao
TFK Moderator

I'm pretty sure it's not a fantail :/ it doesn't have the fantail tail. I haven't seen such a fat coment before either, but the two are pretty active and doesn't seem to be fazed by their apparent obesity. Oh. It's also winter, do they perhaps... store up fat?

Oh and I don't think I mentioned. The fish above is ALIVE, lol, not dead. I just took him out for a photo.
Old 07-03-2012, 10:41 PM   #5 
thekoimaiden

The best way to tell if he is a fantail is to get a picture of him while swimming. From above fantails have a very distinctive profile.

If you really don't think he is a fantail, you might have a comet with either severe stunting (organs continued to grow), severe bloat, or just a comet with a really round belly. I'm honestly not too sure which was bred first into goldfish, the round bellies or the double tails.
thekoimaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 07:40 AM   #6 
ao
TFK Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekoimaiden View Post
The best way to tell if he is a fantail is to get a picture of him while swimming. From above fantails have a very distinctive profile.

If you really don't think he is a fantail, you might have a comet with either severe stunting (organs continued to grow), severe bloat, or just a comet with a really round belly. I'm honestly not too sure which was bred first into goldfish, the round bellies or the double tails.
I hope they're not stunted :( they've always been in a pond... Sydney weather is also pretty mild compare to other places. But then again they've been pretty much left to fend for themselves. :/

Here's one of our fantails who is about half the size of the other one. I also have two calico fantails who seem to be more klutzy and bumbling than the red ones, is that normal?

Old 07-05-2012, 10:15 AM   #7 
Laki

That's a fantaill!!
Is this the same fish from the above pic?
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 11:25 AM   #8 
LebronTheBetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laki View Post
That's a fantaill!!
Is this the same fish from the above pic?
No, that's a different fish.
Old 07-05-2012, 11:32 AM   #9 
ao
TFK Moderator

oO I just noticed that they certainly do look similar though. Need to inspect the other one better next time. Re tere such things as single tail fantails?
Old 07-05-2012, 11:41 AM   #10 
LebronTheBetta

No, fantails are known for their type of tails.