Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-03-2012, 09:12 AM   #1 
tamikakes

is this normal behavior?

Sushi, my 8-9wk old 'baby' just started in the last half hour swimming in laps around the tank, circling it, taking a stride, the stopping and flaring, then take another stride, stop and flare, over and over. in the past 4 days he's never done this, usually just swimming all over the tank exploring
tamikakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 09:17 AM   #2 
Laki

Hm, is it possible that he can see his reflection on the glass?
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 09:25 AM   #3 
tamikakes

I think he can actually. is this going to cause a problem?
Old 07-03-2012, 09:30 AM   #4 
Laki

Hm. I never had this problem but I think some people block where he can see himself with plants (live/silk) or attach a background to the back of the tank. With plenty of plants and caves to distract him he might just stop doing it.
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 09:35 AM   #5 
tamikakes

he has a cave (take up almost the whole bottom of the tank) that he strides thru, hes all over the top, middle, bottom, back, front, sides just "chasing" his refelction I guess.
Old 07-03-2012, 10:05 AM   #6 
lelei

Yup, they do that, it's part of their normal behaviour, and it's fine, flaring also is excersize for them, but more plants do help if it's erratic swimming~ you can tell if it's "Tank surfing" or stressed out swimming, like he's trying to get away from something scary..(his reflection)..lol..and when they start to have arguements with themselves, as they get older, it's hysterical, (mouth moving like they are yelling at something) all normal betta antics:)
lelei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 10:07 AM   #7 
lelei

Actually I wasn't aware a baby betta could flare, cool:) Love the name:Sushi..Btw..Hello and Welcome to the forum..sorry I was in a rush to answer your question, and just noticed your new here:)
Old 07-03-2012, 10:09 AM   #8 
tamikakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by lelei View Post
and when they start to have arguements with themselves, as they get older, it's hysterical, (mouth moving like they are yelling at something) all normal betta antics:)
Thats hillarious! ZOMG I LOVE MY BETTA! Hooked after 4 days! Think I'm in trouble!
Old 07-03-2012, 10:33 AM   #9 
lelei

Yup, you are, just like everyone else here on this site, has found out too, it's unbeleivable what a lil fishy can do:) I already have 2 and want another one, but it will take some time, my second was a rescue fishy..and I had to help him, and I am so glad I did, he did a full 360 and is doing so good, recovering from fin rot, and was a wedding present, in a wine glass..I was horrified to say the least..and now you can see the before and after pix in my album of Sapphire, my Vt rescue:) A lot of love and care, and human interaction is key to get a sick fishy well, I sat tankside all night, like he was my child, talking with him, and putting my finger to him to get him to respond, and short of a miracle of almost losing him, he finally came around, I love my lil guy..and he is in a 3 gal, cuz the one in my Avi, Sammy had to be moved into a 5 gal, cuz he grew so much..I know that is a lot, but I love talking about and sharing my fishy stories:)
Old 07-03-2012, 10:44 AM   #10 
tamikakes

by all means, talk away. If you go thru what I have posted, I tend to ramble on and on. I have yet to go to bed (i work til 3am) it is now 11:40am. I have been on this site and trying to get some decent pics. I think i finally got some okay pics, still a bit blurry, but it's a camera phone, but have played with the settings I have for it.

The betta in a wine glass is a very cute idea if you think about it, and remember that the "average joe" think that thats all the water (and room) they need. I can see how you were horrified tho.

I don't know if it's actually "flaring", he stops dead and all his fins go out.

I am assuming he is only 8-9wks by looking at the size chart someone had posted for me. I got him friday at Petco and it was marked baby, but he was the most colorful and one of the biggest of the babies.