Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-02-2012, 04:58 PM   #1 
xShainax

Intelligence of bettas

Do you think betta's are smart or not? I think they are intelligent. For example, Pepsi first started to jump for food, and now Bambi is jumping for food.
xShainax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 05:02 PM   #2 
lelei

Omg, Yes, they are very smart..It's amazing that these fish can literally be trained..to watch your every move, and almost imitate you,..they know their names, they come when called..try that with any other fish..I doubt they will even look at you..lol..they jump for food,,

recognize another fish by picture, and video..just by watching things they seem to take in everything and work with it,, if you move a plant in thier tank, they immediately take notice..I am so amazed by what they can figure out, and what they learn!!! I love Betta's!!!
lelei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 05:09 PM   #3 
xShainax

I know, Romeo who I am sure is hurting because he bit his tail, is starting to come to the front to meet me. :)
Old 07-02-2012, 05:18 PM   #4 
lelei

They certainly learn fast too, let me tell you my rescue, Sapphire, already knows his name, and responds like a dog, and when i call him he comes right out..regardless of getting food or not, and he is already taking food from my finger, and I only had him for 3 weeks..and he was so sick just 10 days ago, so much so I thought I was gonna lose him, and now looking at him every day..and gettin him used to us, the way I did with Sammy..It's soo cool, and I am like astonished that he is so talented!!!
Aww..I hope your lil Romeo..(love the name) gets better soon:)
lelei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 05:19 PM   #5 
xShainax

People think betta's are just stupid little fish. Makes me sad. Platies are intelligent too
Old 07-02-2012, 05:56 PM   #6 
MyRainbowBettaFish

They are VERY intelligent, no doubt about that :)
MyRainbowBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 09:37 PM   #7 
MrVampire181

Eh, I don't want to burst bubbles but... they're not that smart. For their size, yes. But they are not super intelligent.

They come to the tank front because they see you as a food source. It's all about association of you and food. They do have personalities but not to the extent of higher intelligence animals. They do not have human emotion.
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 09:39 PM   #8 
xShainax

They recognize us as a food source, that's intelligent. :P But really, I know they aren't super smart like cats and dogs
Old 07-02-2012, 09:48 PM   #9 
thekoimaiden
Reference Team

Most fish will recognize their handler as a food source. I've never had a fish that didn't. Even the tetra. Don't get me wrong; fish are a lot more intelligent than most people give them credit, but they are far from Eisensteins.
thekoimaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 10:46 PM   #10 
MrVampire181

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekoimaiden View Post
Most fish will recognize their handler as a food source. I've never had a fish that didn't. Even the tetra. Don't get me wrong; fish are a lot more intelligent than most people give them credit, but they are far from Eisensteins.
Exactly. They're much smarter than the mainstream thought but again no where near higher intelligence.

Suddenly, betta overlords....
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote