Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-03-2012, 04:48 PM   #1 
trakehner

water changes for 10 gallons or more...

Please explain how you do your water changes. I am getting ready to set up and cycle a 10+ gallon tank but I am unsure how to do water changes in larger tanks. I store 3 gallons of water in the room where Fabio's tank is so the replacement water is the same temp as his water.
trakehner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 06:40 PM   #2 
Goldibug

For both my tanks I use a gravel vaccum with a hand pump and 5 gallon buckets. They are pretty inexpensive and most stores that sell aquarium supplies have them. If you're unsure how to use a gravel vaccum there are many videos on YouTube demonstrating how. Vaccum the entire surface of substrate and deep vaccum 1/3 of the substrate at a time. Only change 25% of the water at a time with temperature matched and conditioner added. Seachem Prime is great and API stress coat is a close second for less money. I use tap water for my tanks and with the conditioner they do great!
Goldibug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 12:35 AM   #3 
thekoimaiden

I do something very similar for my 10 gal tanks (larger tanks have a different schedule). I siphon off the water and clean the gravel a bit with the vacuum. The water falls into a 5 gal bucket. Since I never change more than 50% of the tank at a time, I only have to haul the water away once per tank. I refill the tanks slowly using a 1 gallon pitcher. I pretreat the water with Prime before adding it slowly back into the tank. If you add it too fast, it disturbs the aquascape, can tear long betta fins, and generally blows the fish around. Using this technique it takes me about 30 minutes to empty and refill one tank.
thekoimaiden is offline   Reply With Quote