Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-05-2012, 11:18 AM   #11 
Sprinkles55

Oh, thank you so much everybody! This is absolutely wonderful to know how many nice people there is on this forum :)

My dad has owned fish for most of his life, we actually have an 100 gallon tank that he's had for fifteen years so he's been helping me with my betta as well. I did put conditioner in his water, my dad put a bit of salt in his water too, but I've been reading that you don't do that unless they're sick, correct? I believe he did it to ensure he'd be healthy after being in that disgusting little cup :(

@Qw3rTy I believe our bettas are twins haha!

@Kim Wow thank you for all of this! I actually just ordered a new tank lastnight, it's a 3gallon with a filter and I bought the Hydor THEO heater as well. I was hoping to find a 5gallon, but the 3g sold me due to being on sale. Got it for under $30 with a LED light and a filter! The only thing I'm stuck on is what the best thermometer would be. I've seen the stick on ones and then the digitals. Your opinion? As for cycling, the pure ammonia does seem the best. What's a recommended testing kit to test the levels? I also heard marimo balls were good so I bought some nano ones... I'm getting addicted!

@Perseusmom Thank you! :)

@BETTACHKALOVE His bowl is currently a 2 gallon one. I got him monday, so I'm doing a 50% water change every thursday and a 100% change every monday. Is that a good plan until his new tank is ready? Thank you for the food input, I believe I'll be buying some freeze dried mealworms to spoil him some more and so he has a variety of tastes.
Sprinkles55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 11:35 AM   #12 
nicebear24

Welcome! The way your feeding your betta is great! But try some different
foods once in a while, it would be like you eating the same thing everyday!
Yes, it's better to have them in a tank. I suggest 5-10 gallons. He would
enjoy that. For filter I suggest a hob.You say he's in the basement? I
would try moving him somewhere warmer. Or getting a heater, 78-80 is best!

The mirror is good for them. It's part of their natural exersise. But with
no real danger. It won't stress them out. As long as it's only there for
3-5 minutes. No longer then that! Or it will stress him out.

Good Luck!
nicebear24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 12:29 PM   #13 
tamikakes

I'm not 100% sure, but I think I read somewhere that mealworms aren't good for them. I could be wrong and someone who knows more, please clear this up!?

I also read that anything under 5gal is unncessary and in a sense pointless(?) to cycle.

Your Sprinkles is gorgous! I have been trying to get a pic of my Sushi, with a camera phone no less, and I think he plays games with me. He goes to the other side of the tank and then comes to me but hides. As soon as the camera is away, he is hamming it up for me.
tamikakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 12:35 PM   #14 
LebronTheBetta

I've never heard of feeding Mealworms and I don't suggest it. You could cycle below 5 gallons but its harder than normal.
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 12:37 PM   #15 
BETTACHKALOVE

I completely forgot, don't give him blood worms yet. When they new they might give you problem eating pellets after they try blood worms. I had this problem 2 times already. Then it very annoying to get them back on the pellets
So wait for a month that you have him before you spoil him with worms.

Aquarium salt. Not all kind of fish tolerable to the aquarium salt. Bettas are really beneficial when needed to treat them. But you don't need to use aquarium salt long term-its doesn't prevent disease or parasites and long term use can cause resistant pathogens/parasites issues and kidney damage....and long term not-therapeutic dosage can limit it ability to work for treatment when needed....fresh,clean , like temp dechlorinated water from regular water changes is the best prevention method for most problems....
BETTACHKALOVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 12:42 PM   #16 
BETTACHKALOVE

Sorry when i wrote give those freeze dried blood worms as a meal i meant instead of the pellets. Don't feed pellets and worms at the same time, it would be too much. And don't give many worms (4 little pieces is enough). Blood worms can cause of bloating but only if you give to much. If you give 2 times a week it fine.
BETTACHKALOVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 03:49 PM   #17 
Sprinkles55

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamikakes View Post
I'm not 100% sure, but I think I read somewhere that mealworms aren't good for them. I could be wrong and someone who knows more, please clear this up!?

I also read that anything under 5gal is unncessary and in a sense pointless(?) to cycle.

Your Sprinkles is gorgous! I have been trying to get a pic of my Sushi, with a camera phone no less, and I think he plays games with me. He goes to the other side of the tank and then comes to me but hides. As soon as the camera is away, he is hamming it up for me.
Oh, I meant bloodworms lol! I probably made the mistake of writing mealworms because I use to be an owner of sugar gliders and was on a forum board for them as well. Definitely meant bloodworms, though.

That's what Sprinkles does to me! It drives me nuts haha. I believe I'm going to just do water changes for the 3g tank. If I get a bigger one, I'll consider cycling.

Also, thank you BETTACHKALOVE for all your advice! You've been such a help for me :)
Sprinkles55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 09:58 PM   #18 
Blue Fish

Your boy is lovely! This is a wonderful board with tons and tons of information. (some of it contradictory... ;) Best option is read up, read everyone's point-of-view, and then decide what works best for your boy. :)
Welcome! :)
Blue Fish is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
betta, care