Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-03-2012, 11:07 PM   #1 
LizzyP

Exclamation Restless night from bad water conditions

I am never going to sleep knowing this.

I got a new API Freshwater Master test kit and tested my water tonight for the first time with it *cheers and claps*. However, my water levels are not up to par due to the fact I haven't had power until late last night and couldn't do a 50% water change because we had no water. The ammonia is really what is getting my nerves up. It isn't high (0.25 ppm) and I think it will be okay until tomorrow when I can do a 100% change but it still it keeping me from not falling asleep easily.

But now I have questions:

1. The pH in my tank is high, at a whopping 7.6. I will admit, I have absolutely no idea what this means for my tank and fish. What is the proper pH for betta fish? Will the pH go down when I make a 100% water change? Or do I need to put a solution in the water to make it go down?

2. Will Dumbledore be okay swimming around in water testing 0.25 ppm until tomorrow? I would do a 50% change tonight but it's 12am and the water from our well is cloudy due to not being used in several days because of no power, which leads me next to my next question.

3. Girl at Petsmart (she seemed somewhat knowledgeable...) said I can use spring water from the grocery store, like get gallons of Deer Park spring water and use that. Is that okay to use? Or could I use the cloudy well water and condition it like normal? To me, using conditioned bottled water seems safer.

4. What is the High Range pH test for? I tested that as wel and my tank tested a 7.4. Is that good or bad? How can I change it? I'm new to this water testing thing...If I only knew all of this stuff when I was a kid with betta fish.

I'm sorry for all the questions, I'm just laying here staring at my fish tank hoping if I stare at it long enough the water levels will magically change on their own. Thanks, y'all.

Lizzy
LizzyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 11:14 PM   #2 
LebronTheBetta

1. The ph is fine. The best is 7.0 but, they can go from 6.5-8.0, so don't worry!
2. Yes, he will be fine. There have been Betta Fish that gone worse than that.
3. You can use bottled water, but it's not best. Tap water that's conditioned is. If you know what your Water Perimeters are, and it's okay, I suggest for you to keep it that way. What about your Tap?
4. As I said, 7.4 is in okay range. Mine is low. 6.5 ph. -_-
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 11:19 PM   #3 
LizzyP

Quote:
Originally Posted by LebronTheBetta View Post
1. The ph is fine. The best is 7.0 but, they can go from 6.5-8.0, so don't worry!
2. Yes, he will be fine. There have been Betta Fish that gone worse than that.
3. You can use bottled water, but it's not best. Tap water that's conditioned is. If you know what your Water Perimeters are, and it's okay, I suggest for you to keep it that way. What about your Tap?
4. As I said, 7.4 is in okay range. Mine is low. 6.5 ph. -_-
The water is cloudy that it coming out of the faucet because it just hasn't been used in a couple days because the power was out. I haven't tested the water, but I will test it tomorrow before I clean my tank. Boyfriend's mom says it's okay to shower and wash dishes in, but not for brushing teeth, drinking, or cleaning fish tanks so I'm just slightly apprehensive about using it.
LizzyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 11:21 PM   #4 
Goldibug

You can sleep tonight and not stress so badly. While .25 isn't great it isn't terrible either. Your fish should be fine with it over night. Granted you'll want to get it to 0 asap but for a short time it will cause minimal stress to your fish. The well water should be fine as long as it tests in the safe zone for ammonia, nitrItes and nitrAtes. If not spring water with conditioner is a good idea. Don't mess with the PH! As long as it stays where it is at consistently then it is fine. PH fluctuations will harm your fish more then if you just let it be. My betta is very happy in my tank and the PH is sitting at a constant 8.3. Much higher than yours. The PH high just tests for PH levels higher than 7.6. Since you're testing between 7.4 and 7.6 I would continue to test with both of the PH tests to be sure it isn't going up or down. Don't worry about a lot of questions. That's how we keep our fish happy and we learn the easy way ;)
Goldibug is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ammonia, ph level, water condition