Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-06-2012, 09:42 AM   #11 
Purple

I used large rocks in my tank once, but my fish tried to hide under them. I was afraid he would get crushed, so I took them out.
Purple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 10:00 AM   #12 
Goldibug

If it feels sharp to you when you rub it in your hands then it is to sharp for delicate fins or bottom feeding fish. The average substrate is typically okay to use. My cories have been in both the standard gravel from Petsmart and from petco and haven't had a problem with either. I feel safe putting my bettas with those gravels as well.
Goldibug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 11:11 AM   #13 
misty1477

I use Luster Gems as substrate. Got them from a 'dollar-type' store for a-buck-a-bag. They are very smooth and the clearness of the colors look very nice. My tank does not have any live plants ... I use silk ones ... so I don't have to worry about the correct base for live plants.

If you look at my profile album you can see how they look ... my pics are not too good ... but you can get an idea of how they look.
misty1477 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 11:14 AM   #14 
Catfish Billy

The problem with large stones is that your betta might get it's head stuck in between the rocks and drown. That's what happened to my first betta. :(
Catfish Billy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 08:59 AM   #15 
finnfinnfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catfish Billy View Post
The problem with large stones is that your betta might get it's head stuck in between the rocks and drown. That's what happened to my first betta. :(
I guess that's what the book was talking about....

So is something like this okay?
http://m.petco.com/Petco/product/det...egoryId=&path=
finnfinnfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 11:18 AM   #16 
Goldibug

That stuff would be perfect! I have it in my 29 because my cories use to be in there and they did great! Just a tip though. Black makes fish's colors show off the best. Even though the black rock looks rough the edges aren't sharp and my cories are doing just fine with it.
Goldibug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 11:15 PM   #17 
finnfinnfriend

Oh okay, thank you :).
finnfinnfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 04:13 AM   #18 
Aurie

Here is an old picture of my divided betta tank (it has since obtained more plants).. the rocks on the left are old rocks that are your standard hum drum aquarium painted gravel.. the stuff on the right is small aquarium river rock,

Here is a close up from my WCMM tank of my snail.. the pebbles are no bigger than 1cm each

I have used both in betta tanks for years, the river rock is my favorite, and it syphons better (IMO) than the standard gravel

I got both from petco (the red and black are red, and black mixed together, not available in the same bag)
Aurie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 04:17 AM   #19 
Cinderwolf

Oh my gosh Aurie! Your snail is catching a ride on a bigger snail! Thats too cute.
Cinderwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 04:46 AM   #20 
Aurie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinderwolf View Post
Oh my gosh Aurie! Your snail is catching a ride on a bigger snail! Thats too cute.
I love my zebra nerite, but the ramshorn snails are a problem in my tank.. it's a cute pic none the less.
Aurie is offline   Reply With Quote