Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-04-2012, 12:35 PM   #1 
mekashiyu

10 gallon tank - divide into 2 or 3?

Hey everyone! I have a basic little 10 gallon tank (20x10x12 in.) that I had originally planned to divide in two for my crowntail boys. However that was before I ran into a pretty little veiltail boy in the store a few days later and fell in love. Soooo now I have three boys and a tank dilemma. :O

I can basically either:

a) divide the 10g into three sections, however I'm not sure about the actual look of it if it was done like that, or
b) keep the original plan and divide in two, then get a third, smaller tank (I'm seeing maybe 2-2.5g at most, since I've run out of space in my room for anything bigger)

I'm just looking for your opinions on a course of action here, because I'm the most indecisive person ever. D:

Last edited by mekashiyu; 07-04-2012 at 12:48 PM.
mekashiyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 12:56 PM   #2 
Sundancex

Your 3 boys will have plenty of room in a 10 gal, over 3 gal each! The general min. is 2.5 gal, so I think dividing your 10 gal into 3 would be perfect. No advice on how to divide though!

It will also be less expensive (you won't have to buy another tank), easier to heat, filter, and cycle.
Sundancex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 05:40 PM   #3 
Catie79

You know, I just divided my ten, and I can't imagine dividing it in three. It's not about the volume, it's about the horizontal room. I don't know about other bettas, but my guy seems to prefer to roam horizontally. But you're right, one tank would be easier. Maybe you can get some dividers that don't have to be glued in place and do a temporary three way split to see if you like it, and if you don't, get the little tank?

I'm indecisive, too, I feel your pain.
Catie79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 06:12 PM   #4 
Drift

I attempted a three way divide on my 10 gallon and it didn't look right. It looked over crowded and squished to me.
As Catie said, they seem to like the horizontal space more than the vertical.

If you don't have room, you don't have room though.
Drift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 06:32 PM   #5 
lelei

Yes, I agree, a 10 gal would be more roomy if divided by 2 ~ 3 ways would be a lill crowded, and uncomfortable, it would be better to get a 2-3 gal for your new fishy..if you get him:)
lelei is offline   Reply With Quote