Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Finless Friends
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-04-2012, 01:31 PM   #1 
freeflow246

RIP Eleanor

Eleanor was the sweetest, friendliest, and most patient cat I have ever seen. She was the only pet that I ever really clicked with. I miss her so much.

We came home last night and found vomit on the floor and her hunched in a corner, covered in her own urine and wailing. Even though she was obviously in pain, she let us pick her up and set her on the couch without complaining. We quickly saw that she was paralyzed from the waist down, crawling with her front legs and literally dragging her back half.

My mother and I rushed her to the vet, and he was quickly able to diagnose her with saddle thrombosis. Basically she had been born with one of several heart conditions, all hard to detect. Her heart had formed a clot who knows when that had just now lodged itself in the artery in her waist, cutting off blood to her back half. The damage to her legs and tail was already irreversible. We could try a few risky and expensive methods to remove the clot, but they would risk her life and there was a 100% chance that she would have another clot.

Since she was in pain and would never be able to use her back legs, we decided to have her put to sleep immediately. Right before she stopped breathing she seemed just like her old self. The vet was very nice; he almost cried when he told us the news and he gave us a group hug when Eleanor had passed.

Our other cat, Griffen, is still looking for her. My little brother is devastated and I am a wreck. I tried to keep it together for my mom last night but when I was alone I lost it. If she had been an old cat with health issues I think it would have been easier than to come home and find my two year old kitten paralyzed. I have had a lot of pets but she was the best. I still just can't believe she's gone. I will never stop missing her little kitty kisses or the way she would run up to me when I got home.
Attached Images

freeflow246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 02:36 PM   #2 
Romad
TFK Moderator

Oh I am so so sorry to hear about Eleanor. It's always difficult to lose a member of your fur family especially when they are so young :(

Soon you'll be able to smile when you think of her. Hugs ( ) ( )
Romad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 03:26 PM   #3 
freeflow246

Thank you. :) I am glad that our decision was clear and there were not doubts as to whether we should try to treat the condition or not, and therefore no guilt. That would have made it so much worse.
Old 07-05-2012, 11:28 AM   #4 
starrlamia

Im so sorry, what a beautiful girl
starrlamia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 01:29 PM   #5 
fleetfish

I'm so sorry! My last cat had died with the exact same condition. He was also put down for the same reason . . . I was so devastated. Eleanor looked like such a beautiful little lady.
fleetfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 01:35 PM   #6 
Calypso77

Oh Hun I am so very sorry to hear about Eleanor. It is never easy they become a huge part of our families. Eleanor is absolutely stunning and adorable. I'm sorry this happened to her and your family. RIP Eleanor. ;(
Calypso77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 04:05 PM   #7 
freeflow246

Thanks you guys. :) I'm still a bit upset but our other cat is getting lonely and our local shelter is nearly overflowing so withing a week or so we might have another kitten within a few weeks. Our family has never been the type to have a very long grieving period.
Old 07-05-2012, 04:51 PM   #8 
xShainax

Rip
xShainax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 08:02 PM   #9 
thekinetic

Aww I'm so sorry, she was adorable! It is not an easy thing to go through, my dog died two years ago and my world hasn't been right since.
thekinetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 08:14 PM   #10 
Aus

I have had a kitty soulmate pass away suddenly, so I fully understand the loss you must be feeling.

Giving an unwanted kitten a good, loving home is a great way to deal with such a loss. I hope you find one every bit as lovely as Eleanor was.
Aus is offline   Reply With Quote