Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-16-2012, 04:02 PM   #181 
magnum

I guess that if your doing regular water changes so forth for your 1 gallon, your fish should be fine. What bothers me with this tank, is not the size, but the fact its just not an ideal living space. It's a bowl, in a stuffed animals stomach, displayed as a toy. Children thus, don't see the betta as an animal, but as a toy and something they can lose interest in several days after purchase. Then you end up with nothing but a dead fish.
magnum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 04:41 PM   #182 
ravenwinds

I don't believe a betta should in anything less than 2.5g and it has to be heated.
Otherwise +100 to magnum! You stated so eloquently what I have been feeling and trying to get across to everyone.
ravenwinds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 04:52 PM   #183 
magnum

Why thank you! I do agree though that anything you have your bettas in MUST be heated, with no exception. Otherwise they'll just get sick and die.
magnum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 08:05 PM   #184 
toad

I would like to agree about the heater issue, though I currently do not have my tanks heated; my house is about 80 degrees all the time (which I HATE), and when it starts to cool off I will definitely be getting heaters.

Here's the email I sent off to the company. Too nice? Not nice enough?

"Hello!

I have just learned of your product, the Teddy Tank. To say this product is concerning would be an understatement. I see on your website, under the "Our Story" tab, that the founder of the company researched business, patents and entrepreneurship; however, it doesn't seem apparent that he spent any time researching the needs of the animals he is using to market his product.

I own and have researched Betta fish, also known as Siamese Fighting fish. These animals are native to Thailand; in the wild, they live in rice paddies. The rice paddy is a water system, much like a swamp; it covers acres of land, with varying depths and little to no current or water disturbance. The notion that Betta fish live in small mud puddles is stunningly inaccurate. Your website states that the fish will "acclimate to household temperatures"; this is simply not true. Betta fish are tropical animals and, in order to thrive, need a temperature in the high 70's that will not fluctuate. These animals are active and interactive. They, like other pets, need exercise, stimulation and a clean and healthy environment.

The Teddy Tank is, in essence, a plush toy. The fact that the toy is "cuddly" leads me to think that children will be inclined to carry and hug the Teddy Tank, which would lead to the water and the fish sloshing, spilling, etc. The bowl that makes up the toy's belly is far too small for an animal to thrive in; the bowl may be 1 gallon, but the website clearly states that the bowl should only be 3/4 full, and also that these fish do well in as little as a 1/2 gallon of water. The build up of ammonia in such a small amount of water would be extremely quick and detrimental to the fish.

While the toy is cute, I find it very inhumane as an animal habitat. Children should not be taught to think of animals as play things or decorations. I love that the website suggests using the toy as a coin bank or a candy jar; these uses for the Teddy Tank are much more compassionate and safe for both the animals and the children.

Thank you for your time; have a wonderful day."
toad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 08:12 PM   #185 
teeneythebetta

Now THAT was amazing! Your email sounds so much more professional than mine did xD
teeneythebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 08:13 PM   #186 
xShainax

Mine was a little....Mean
xShainax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 08:15 PM   #187 
toad

Quote:
Originally Posted by teeneythebetta View Post
Now THAT was amazing! Your email sounds so much more professional than mine did xD
Thanks love :)
Old 07-16-2012, 08:16 PM   #188 
toad

Quote:
Originally Posted by xShainax View Post
Mine was a little....Mean

Did you post it in the thread? I want to read it, but I'm feeling too lazy to look through all 20 pages :P

I feel that the only cure for ignorance is education, and bullying or assaulting someone does little to educate them
Old 07-16-2012, 08:17 PM   #189 
xShainax

No I didn't post it. >.>
xShainax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 08:43 PM   #190 
registereduser

Since IluvFish31 either works for or is the manufacturer I trust they already know our feelings. Unfortunately, if the product proves to be popular it won't go away, just like the tiny divided "tanks" sold at PetCo, etc.

The bright side is that thanks to the internet those who truly care about their fish stewardship will do more research and quickly learn how to properly care for their bettas.
registereduser is offline   Reply With Quote