Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-06-2012, 05:32 AM   #51 
LittleBettaFish

It's like when we had goldfish when we were younger and my mum thought that she would do them a favour by buying a really good filter and getting rid of their old under gravel one. Of course she rinsed the media out in tap water every water change and us being kids and goldfish being well goldfish, they were massively overfed.

Then my parents divorced, the tank turned green and one by one our goldfish died of what I suspect was columnaris. Me and my younger brother (around 9 and 7) tried to do a water change but we didn't know how.

More than ten years I have three very happy and healthy goldfish who funnily enough actually have the original filter that my mum purchased. Having to watch my beloved pet fish suffer like that was terrible and it made me very disillusioned with pet and fish store staff. My mum feels awful for what her ignorance caused, and it makes me sick to the stomach to think that there are people out there who through malice or sheer apathy can let an animal in their care suffer.

With the internet accessible in most homes now there really is no excuse for ignorance on the subject of fishkeeping.
LittleBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 07:15 AM   #52 
MaisyDawgThirteen

You know this was on one of those morning shows as a great gift for children? I think it was the Today Show.
MaisyDawgThirteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 07:32 AM   #53 
Purple

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleBettaFish View Post
With the internet accessible in most homes now there really is no excuse for ignorance on the subject of fishkeeping.
Totally agree. I found BettaTalk.com (A great resource) after not even 5 seconds searching on the Internet. It's not that hard.
Purple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 07:53 AM   #54 
Laki

That's what bothers me.. I was the "bunny whisperer" at my old work and some of the girls would come straight to me with questions and wanting homemade treats. I even took one girl shopping for goodness sakes to show her which products were safe and which were not for bunnies. (nothing to do with bettas) my point, I told them ALL to go to a certain very useful internet resource to read the articles and figure stuff out for themselves.
As for bettas, I found this site a couple weeks after getting Lakitu and have been preaching this site ever since... Nobody listens to me. T-T It's so much easier to be ignorant and harm your pets due to laziness. Would rather play Farmville on facebook than read about the pets in their care and home.
fgvreuivfbrn Annoys me. The internet makes things so easy!!
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 01:44 AM   #55 
IluvFish31

I just checked out the website. I actually am looking at the positive side of the Teddy Tank. It is a 1 gallon fish bowl, which is a much better size than what is sold at most pet stores. Also kids can stay engaged in the Teddy Tank and care for the Betta. Most the time customers who purchase Betta don't care for them properly. But a kid will definitely want to care for their pet in this tank. I don't see anything wrong with it.
IluvFish31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 01:50 AM   #56 
xShainax

Um...Kids would want to sleep with the tank, try to play with it or take it out of the bowl.
xShainax is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 02:07 AM   #57 
IluvFish31

Smile Teddy Tank

I like discussing this with you because I care for Betta Fish too! If a kid sees a fish in the bowl and it has water in it then they are not going to sleep with a bowl of water. That kids has to be super stupid and the parents must not be teaching their kids proper care for any pet. Even on the package it says parental supervision.
You can argue that since kids like going fishing then they are going to start sticking fishing rods and fishing nets into fish tanks. Moreover, then you can say that parents should not teach kids responsibility. Did we forget what personal responsibility means?
I think Teddy Tank is a great beginner fish tank. I mean it combines an engaging aspect to kids so they will not forget about their Betta Fish. It is so cute that they feed it through the mouth- definitely an engaging way to teach kids how to properly feed the Betta.
Kids can finally have fun and enjoy hanging out with their fish! Also the parent teaches the kid how to care for a Betta Fish, which will lead to that kid CARING FOR ALL PETS!! You do not have to criticize everything. Take a step back and see how this is beneficial. The Teddy Tank is a one gallon fish bowl. That is what is sold in every pet store to house a single Betta Fish.
Old 07-12-2012, 02:12 AM   #58 
xShainax

With more stupid people having kids, I doubt they will be safe
xShainax is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 02:24 AM   #59 
IluvFish31

You know that parents who purchase this fish tank for their kid is trying to teach their son or daughter responsibility. I mean do you think the parent is going to say "daughter go ahead and sleep with your fish bowl!" Come on that does not make any sense. Then you can argue that stupid parents who buy their kids other pets, such as dogs, cats, turtles are going to harm them too. I mean how much more can any pet company do then say parental supervision. That if you are using a Teddy Tank for a fish tank please treat the pet with love and care. Personal responsibility needs to be a major topic in this coming election because I think we forgot what that means.
Old 07-12-2012, 02:29 AM   #60 
Purple

Quote:
Originally Posted by IluvFish31 View Post
You know that parents who purchase this fish tank for their kid is trying to teach their son or daughter responsibility.
No, they're trying to shut them up in a store. No "normal" (by that I mean non-bettafish.com :P) person sees fish are a living creature. They don't think it requires responsibility. When I got my first fish, I thought you just threw food at it every now and then and it lived for about a week and you flushed it. That's what most people think.
Purple is offline   Reply With Quote