Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-12-2012, 02:38 AM   #61 
Sakura8

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaisyDawgThirteen View Post
You know this was on one of those morning shows as a great gift for children? I think it was the Today Show.
That's terrible. Thank you Today Show for propagating the myth that bettas need small habitats.

And if you want plushy and cuddly, get a real teddy bear, not a fish bowl for pete's sake.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 02:41 AM   #62 
magnum

Quote:
No "normal" (by that I mean non-bettafish.com :P) person sees fish are a living creature. They don't think it requires responsibility. When I got my first fish, I thought you just threw food at it every now and then and it lived for about a week and you flushed it. That's what most people think.
+1

It's not that the parents won't teach the kid responsibility, its moreover the fact is that people believe that fish will live a month tops, then you just go and buy a new one. If it was a dog or cat it would be different. Most parent's don't teach there kids proper responsible fish care as most think 'hey, this fish is going to die in at least a few weeks anyway'. If it was there pet cat, its a different matter.
magnum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 02:42 AM   #63 
Sakura8

Agreed, magnum. And it's so hard to get through to people that the reason the fish is dying in a month is because of bad husbandry. Stick a man in a dirty port-o-potty, plug up all the holes and then don't let him out for a month and see how he does.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 02:50 AM   #64 
IluvFish31

That is my point we are not arguing about Teddy Tank. Instead we are arguing about teaching people how to have the right thought process when taking care of a fish or any pet. They need to be treated with love and care. The Teddy Tank will teach kids to not only name their teddy bear and love it. It will also keep the kids engaged and love their pet fish. This is a positive fish tank that will keep them engaged and want their fish to stay alive. Its actually quite a genius design.

It's so easy to point out negatives in anything and everything. I think intellectual people with thoughtful comments should post their feelings about this topic.
Stating that this is a terrible idea does not do any good. Instead think of both sides of the coin. This is a good idea because it keeps kids engaged and teaches them responsibility.
IluvFish31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 02:52 AM   #65 
IluvFish31

This is not a bad fish tank. Its a one gallon bowl with air channels through the back and mouth. I have read statements that people had a Betta Fish in the Teddy Tank for two years and its swimming around happily.
Old 07-12-2012, 03:19 AM   #66 
magnum

The fish might be fine to survive, but it dosn't mean it's happy. Where is the filter? The Heater? The Plants/Decor?

I agree with Sakura on the whole husbandary topic as well. So many people don't realise that putting their fish in unsanitary environments and small tanks is what's killing it. Common belief is that fish die easy, for no apparent reason at all.
Old 07-12-2012, 03:34 AM   #67 
IluvFish31

Look at all the fish tanks that have been out for years for Betta Fish. Most do not have filters, heater and plant decor. The Teddy Tank has plant decor. You need to clean out the 1 gallon fish bowl and do frequent water changes. But, its not a bad habitat. Many people say get a filter, but what many people don't realize is that filter causes very large currents, which the Betta fish does not want.
Old 07-12-2012, 03:37 AM   #68 
IluvFish31

Overall, I think that we need to look at the positives and stop trying to find negatives. I mean the first negative that kids will sleep with it and toss it around was already proven invalid. A case was made that parents need to teach their kids responsibility and no parent is going to say "daughter go ahead and sleep with your fish bowl." Moreover, kids like fishing does that mean they are going to stick fishing rods in fish tanks. The next point that the tank is too small, etc. is also proven wrong considering on this blog it says that a one gallon bowl is fine as long at there is water changes.
Old 07-12-2012, 03:39 AM   #69 
magnum

Quote:
people don't realize is that filter causes very large currents, which the Betta fish does not want.
This is why you have a baffle or buy a filter that has an adjustable water flow/current.

And many of the betta tanks that have been out for years are not ideal for the poor little creatures. I can just imagine a child taking a tantrum and reaching for there Teddy Tank to throw against a wall.....
Old 07-12-2012, 03:44 AM   #70 
IluvFish31

I love fish! I have a 125 gallon salt water aquarium at home. Do you know what my first fish was? It was a Betta Fish when I was five years old. My parents bought it for me and taught me how to care for my Betta. I had it for a little over four years in a one gallon bowl. I wish though that the this fun Tank was around. I probably would have loved it!

I mean what are you trying to imagine kids throwing fish tanks. I do not want to argue, but I mean you are creating situations to create a negative aspect about the tank. I mean then your saying that kids should never have any pets in any habitats because when they are angry they will throw it.