Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-12-2012, 03:48 AM   #71 
IluvFish31

On the website it does not say a filter is necessary. Just do the appropriate water changes and the fish will be fine inside the Teddy Tank. This is a great tank for kids that want to learn how to care for a fish and stay engaged with their pet. The company is not doing any harm to Betta Fish. It is in a one gallon fish bowl, which a single Betta can swim happily around.
IluvFish31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 07:40 AM   #72 
lelei

We were just discussing that on another thread a couple days ago..and the shoe with fish is tryin to make a comeback..and for thevStuffed animal wrpped around a fishbowl..i saw the websiteand watched the video..and Immediatley emailed the company my concerns..if everyone does that it will hopefully create a bigger impact.
lelei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 11:11 AM   #73 
IluvFish31

What concerns. If you have not already read the earlier post the Teddy Tank is a very beneficial fish tank for Betta Fish. It is a one gallon fish bowl, which on this blog it says that it's ok as long as the person caring for the Betta does water changes. Furthermore, the parents teach the kid responsibility and how to care of a pet. This is a perfect fish tank to keep the kid engaged. I do not understand how this is harmful. Your just trying to create something negative without looking at the benefits.
IluvFish31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 01:08 PM   #74 
ravenwinds

Iluvfish: I agree with you about personal responsibility. One of the reasons I have been having differences with the way the US is going these days, suing everyone because they weren't paying attention to how hot the cup was. The government is only making this mentality worse by taking our rights and responsibilities away...for our protection of course!

You keep on repeating our concerns are not valid because you have stated in previous posts that they are invalid....I believe that this philosophy is wrong.
For instance: I am a responsible pet owner that believes they are not just things, but are animals that need our love, attention, and respect. I have two children under 6 that I am teaching these beliefs to. They both have bettas and they are both learning to be responsible for them.

I still have a problem with Teddytanks....I just truly believe that a teddy around a fish tank is not appropriate. It is not going to engage a child longer than a tank by itself (which with my girls was about a week! Yes they still revisit their interest...). So if its purpose isn't valid, why do it? Room with teddy decor? Child has many stuffed toys so the betta tank should look like them? Again, still a danger of treating fish like object!
I am concerned because children see things than we do! If it looks cuddly, it should be cuddled! My fat cat is an example....every time I turn around, they are trying to cuddle a cat that doesn't like kids..."no Oriana! Kitty has pins!"
It's just a bad idea because it puts ideas into kids minds that a betta might not like! Think of a slumber party...even if you trust your kid, peer pressure could turn responsibility into playtime.
Yes, again we have returned to personal responsibility. Yes, it is every person's responsibility to protect animals. I wish I could believe that all the parents who purchase this will be responsible but I don't see it happening...and even if they were, there is that slumber party to consider! So, maybe we can compromise....make product only for older kids like 10years and above?
Would an age limit on this toy(see, a toy!!) change our concerns?

I guess you can say that I am pulled both ways with this issue: yes, the manufacturer has the right to make a product that is not intended to be cruel to animals. I believe this is by incorporating an animal into a room decoration, truly a cruel product. (by deciding that it is not intended to be carried around and played with like a teddy, it is therefore intended to be room decoration fish tank, so it now falls into different category!)
ravenwinds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 03:00 PM   #75 
Sakura8

I somehow feel that a teddy bear wrapped around a tank cheapens the value of the life inside the tank. A betta should be the center point of a tank, not just another accessory.

1 gallon is fine and yes, that is what we say on our site is the absolute minimum. However, we say that reluctantly. Overall, we'd prefer that only experienced betta keepers who will perform the required water changes keep their bettas in a 1 gallon. Too often, something like the Teddy Tank is sold but without the information needed to keep the betta alive. For me to consider this tank anywhere near a reasonable product, the manufacturer and the seller would have to include information about FREQUENT water changes and emphasize said changes for the health of the fish.

I watched a group of teenage girls buy a betta in Petsmart the other night. They got a tiny bowl, a betta, and that was that. No one in the store made any effort to instruct them on the frequency of water changes, or indeed to even tell them about water changes. This is what I fear will happen with a tank like this.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 03:20 PM   #76 
lelei

Its not the size its the fact that given the chance..when a kid has a toy its regared ss just that..so they will dropbit..throw it around..drop other things in the mouth brsides food..all kinds of horrible scenarios will take place..its purpose us not meant for a living creature..
Old 07-12-2012, 03:25 PM   #77 
lelei

Its also.a candy bowl..or anything else yu can use that bowl for a kid will think u can out candy in with the fish or take the fish out and stuff it in another animal..why not a kid will not know any better this is marketed to toddlers.
Old 07-12-2012, 03:31 PM   #78 
nekura

RE: How to kill goldfish in one night; betta in 3 nights.
nekura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 03:31 PM   #79 
Alcemistnv

just sent a polite but angry message :3
Alcemistnv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 03:37 PM   #80 
ravenwinds

Thank you sakura and leilei for answering better and with less words...I swear I was attempting to say what you guys did...I just suffer from over typing syndrome!

Exactly put...either make it a toy, a room decoration, or an animal habitat...do not attempt all three or bettas will get harmed!

And to comment on 1 gallon: it also states extensively on this forum that heaters, live plants, and more than 2.5g are suggested and recommended...I always read the 1g minimum thing as being primarily temporary housing!
ravenwinds is offline   Reply With Quote