Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-04-2012, 04:01 PM   #1 
Drift

Question Cycling & Plant Questions

I decided the other day to re-arrange my 10 gallon planted. I was stupid and took the plants out and put them in a cup only halfway submerged. All of them were ok, other than my sword. It was in the direct fire of the fan in my room and dried all the leaves out. I decided to toss it in the tank and hope it would perk back up. A couple of the leaves are brown and dead, so i'm going to pluck them off. Most of them are mostly green with just brown spots. 2 leaves are fine. Should I pluck the spotted ones off too? Or just leave them be?

Also. Probably picking up a 20g Long in a few minutes. Most likely going to be a community planted tank. I love my betta's, but I'm pretty jealous of the glass catfish I bought for my brothers 40 g.
It's going to be planted, i'm buying plants from the same person. So it will be planted. Should I take the filter media from my cycled 10 gallon and put it in there to help it establish faster? If so for how long? Every time I have ever asked about cycling a planted tank I get mixed answers because the plants alter the readings?
Drift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 06:06 PM   #2 
Oldfishlady

Depending on the number, species and growth state of the plants-you will do a silent cycle of sorts-since the plants will use the ammonia before conversion.....but the plants need to be fast growing stem and/or floating plants for them to function as the bio-filtration on a new setup.....
Not all plants will help keep the water safe and just a few plants won't do it either.....Plus the plants have to be thriving or in active growth....

If just adding a few plants-then you will cycle like you would without plants.

Lots of active growing plants can use the ammonia for food and often it will take a long time if ever to get the nitrate reading that we look for that tells us cycling stage/completeness....Also, use of plant ferts and some dechlorinating products can cause false water pram readings.

As for seeding with established filter media- yes, it will help to speed up the nitrogen cycle, however, if its going to be mass planted it may not need it-but it won't hurt either.

Are you transferring everything from the 10g to the 20gal or will you keep the 10g running too. How soon do you plan to stock the 20gal and what is the finial stocking plan, number and species of live plants, lights-watts, kelvin, PP....etc.....type of substrate do you plan to use....

On the sword plant-pinch the dead leaf off-but don't pinch too many off at one time-the one that just have brown spot-wait to pinch them until you see a new leaf to replace it....Be sure and keep the crown slightly above the substrate when planted.
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 06:25 PM   #3 
Drift

I'm leaving my 10 gallon alone. I'm hoping everything will grow in nicely given some time.
I've got 1 large sword, 2 medium, 2 small. 2 medium Java fern, 1 small, 2 large anubias, and this long vine lily pad looking plant that was given to me as well. Some duckweed that tagged along with it all too. Just bought them off someone today who pulled them all out of her gorgeously overgrown planted tank.
I can add purchase more if advised.
I'm not sure on substrate. There is plain gravel in there now, but i've been using Seachem's flourite in my 10 gallon, but i'm not attached to either of these. If you have a better recommendation I would gladly take it.

The light is a Flora-Glo 20w T8, but I can replace it with something likewise.

I don't know what I want to put in the 20 gallon species wise. I really like hatchet fish, love glass catfish, neon tetras, and cory's. I didn't get to researching on what goes best together in a community tank since all I have had is betta's! Lol.

Thanks for replying OFL. Just so you know, I love you. :P
Old 07-05-2012, 09:48 AM   #4 
Oldfishlady

Plain small diameter gravel will work fine for the plants you have-plus the anubias and ferns will be tied off to something and not in the substrate anyway...The swords are heavy root feeders and all the species you have are slow growing low feeders in general, however, depending on your stocking level they will help water quality some...by adding some fast growing stem plants like Naja grass, rotala, any of the hygrophilia species will help keep the water safe.....Then you have the duckweed which is a great floater and will help too....

Lighting being the driving force behind plant growth-You want to use a "daylight" 6500k bulb, change it yearly and start on a 10h/day PP.

With regular gravel-you will need to add ferts at least weekly and root tabs monthly to every 3 months-best to add water column ferts after your weekly water change to remove any unused/unneeded so not to feed algae.

Lots of research on the species of fish-but you know that already.....
Old 07-05-2012, 09:52 PM   #5 
Drift

I'm going to order some more stem plants then. That's easy enough.
New bulb will easily be bought too.
Any recommendations for specific ferts and root tabs? Brand wise?

I'm starting the long process of researching what to stock it with. Might just stop by the Tropical Fish forum for some advise as well.
Old 07-06-2012, 10:02 AM   #6 
Oldfishlady

I don't use ferts...but if I did....I would use Seachem brand.....