Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-17-2012, 09:12 AM   #1 
Calypso77

9-1-1. Need help bad

My poor little Betta, I am not sure what is wrong with his. For starters when I first got him a little over a month ago I noticed he was missing one of his Pelvic fins, didn't seem to bother him much just had a hard time turning the direction to quickly.

Now I have notice for over a week he has been swimming just at the top of his tank and when he would try to go to the bottom he would just spring right back up. I noticed he hadn't poop for roughly a week so I fast him the best I could (felt too bad) and I gave him a blanched Pea this weekend and he has gone some but now when he is just hanging out floating at the top his back end goes side ways. I am not sure if he is still constipated or if he has sim bladder or if he is under weight... I really need help on this one I am new to the whole Betta world and am completely obsessed with trying to cure him of whatever ails him. :(. I will attach a few pictures for you to see what you think.

Thanks so much for all your help. Sorry if the pictures are hard to make out. Took them with bad camera phone, I can try again with better camera if needed.

Normal right after I got him

Now pictures

Calypso77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 12:01 PM   #2 
Neil D

Alright, I'm not much help here, but I can give a few tips.

1) No peas for bettas. I've read over and over again it's bad for them.
2) Daphnia works well as a laxative.
3) Your betta seems to have stress stripes (horizontal stripes)
4) Is your bowl heated?

You should also fill out a sheet stickied at the top of the diseases page.
Neil D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 12:06 PM   #3 
Calypso77

Ok what are Stress Stripes? And no it is not heated but is kept at room temps around 75 - 80 F. I will go fill that out now. Thanks

I just fed him as he was doing nothing not hardly moving and now he is swimming more since I fed him.
Old 06-17-2012, 12:10 PM   #4 
Neil D

Stress stripes appear when a betta is well...stressed. They are horizontal strips running the length of the fish on both sides. They're usually well pronounced on darker fish. They seem the most visible on the second image.
Old 06-17-2012, 12:29 PM   #5 
Calypso77

Housing
What size is your tank? 1/2 Gallon tank
What temperature is your tank? Between 75 - 80
Does your tank have a filter? No Filter
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Is your tank heated? No
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? Alone

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Betta Flakes - will not eat Pellets
How often do you feed your betta fish? Every other day

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? Once a week
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 100%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Betta Conditioner

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? Not much change maybe a tad lighter.
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? Not as active.
When did you start noticing the symptoms? 1 1/2 weeks ago
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? Fast and then given blanched Pea
Does your fish have any history of being ill? No, I got him and he was missing one Pelvic Fin though
How old is your fish (approximately)? I have had him 1 1/2 months.
Old 06-17-2012, 02:45 PM   #6 
Aus

Your fish looks.. very stressed and unwell.

1/2 gallon tank isn't very big. Then take out the water displaced by rocks and decoration - he's living in just a few cupfuls of water. If you're changing that water once a week, it'll be loaded with ammonia most of the time, which will not be helping his health at all.

He should be eating twice a day, small amounts, as you're using flakes (these also cause a lot of ammonia..). Flakes aren't great, I noticed my first betta got very bloaty on them at times - he took time to want to eat pellets but did so after I stopped giving him flakes and let him go hungry a few days if he didn't eat them. Irregular/infrequent feeding seems to be almost as bad for them as overfeeding (though stupid pet store people tell folks to feed thier bettas every few days.. they are much better off with daily small meals..)

I've never had a fish with swim bladder issues, so I'll leave that side of it to someone who's dealt with it. But please do consider a bigger living space, without sharp plastic plants and with much more frequent water changes (or at least 2-3 a week in his present home!). Some bettas freak out badly in bowls, the round shape distorts everything.. if you do choose to allow him a larger home, perhaps a try a rectangular one, it might help him not to stress.

What's your routine for water changes now? Where do you put him for them and do you acclimate him to the new water at all?

Last edited by Aus; 06-17-2012 at 02:47 PM.
Aus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 02:53 PM   #7 
Calypso77

Right now I have no plants or stones in with him, just so I can see if he poops or not. I did have a fake plant in with him and he seemed afraid of it, would not go anywhere near it. I did have him in a bigger bowl when I first got him but it didn't have a cover and it seemed to get dirty a lot faster. My other Betta is in the same type tank and is perfectly happy with all his living conditions.

I went ahead and fed him this morning in case he is anemic and within an hour he pooped. I will try feeding him a little more again before bed.

I was told if he can't get to the bottom of his tank to lower his water level for the time being til he gets better so it is easier for him to float around and sleep.
Old 06-17-2012, 03:09 PM   #8 
Neil D

If you have two bettas in this condition, it really isn't good. I really recommend splurging a bit for a 5g tank, dividing it, filtering it, and heating it. I can guarantee your fish will be more active.

But for your situation now, I would recommend getting in contact with Oldfishlady (OFL) on the forum. She really knows how to deal with this.
Old 06-17-2012, 03:13 PM   #9 
Calypso77

I don't have 2 Bettas in this condition.
Old 06-17-2012, 03:19 PM   #10 
Neil D

I meant two bettas in the .5g bowls, not two sick. :)

Tags
urgent