Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-04-2012, 05:00 PM   #1 
December

Temperature Warning ??

Okay with all these crazy temps in the 90s and 100+ here in central/eastern USA.... My spawn tank (with a heater but turned off) is still at about 89 degree F and seems to be going past the 90s.

Can the baby fry survive that temperature ??... i usually keep it at about 80-83 for spawning and the fry after free swim.

Should i be concern? Any thoughts/comments and experiences with this is much appreciated.
December is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 05:18 PM   #2 
Oldfishlady

With my outside spawns....the water can get well over 100F, however, I also use deep containers and the water temp will be much cooler in the lower levels-
The fry all seem to stay at the top and I have never had any problems.

The water does cool off some during the night and when the water temp gets over 110F I will add water from the hose...
That is what I have to do now since we are in a hot spell with no sign of rain that would normally cool the water off more than just the night time temps.....

I have found that healthy Bettas- even fry will tolerate these higher temps.....

If your fry look to be struggling in the high temp-remove the hood, turn off the lights, lower the water level some and add some water movement-you can also add a small fan to blow over the water.

Like those small battery operated fan you can buy that hang on your neck-I have seem some with a clip on them that would work perfect over a tank.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 05:32 PM   #3 
jeffegg2

Cool

Try an anti heater.... Ice cubes in a ziplock bag....

Just don't get carried away!

Jeff.
jeffegg2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 06:30 PM   #4 
December

Thanks for all the great ideas and suggestions. You guys are the best!!!
December is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 05:24 PM   #5 
KadenJames

It has been in the 100s around here lately, and since I don't have any AC and my house is practically an oven, my tanks were literally off the charts temperature wise. I had a male who couldn't handle the heat very well. He became pale in color and would sort of sit there, staring at me as if to say "I'm melting, over here." I threw in an ice cube and he perked right up, and spent the next 5 minutes or so pushing it around the tank until it finally melted.
KadenJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 05:33 PM   #6 
jeffegg2

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by KadenJames View Post
It has been in the 100s around here lately, and since I don't have any AC and my house is practically an oven, my tanks were literally off the charts temperature wise. I had a male who couldn't handle the heat very well. He became pale in color and would sort of sit there, staring at me as if to say "I'm melting, over here." I threw in an ice cube and he perked right up, and spent the next 5 minutes or so pushing it around the tank until it finally melted.
I wonder if he got "brain freeze" like when I drink a slushy???

Jeff.
jeffegg2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 06:42 PM   #7 
KadenJames

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffegg2 View Post
I wonder if he got "brain freeze" like when I drink a slushy???

Jeff.

Heeheehee.
KadenJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 09:19 PM   #8 
MrVampire181

I keep my fish room at 90F.... my space heater hasn't run for two weeks and its at 89F right now. Granted, KadenJames is holding my fish right now but when I do have them they do great. I prefer mid 80s vs lower 80s and high 70s.
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 11:31 AM   #9 
Enkil

I've had several tanks go into the upper 90s here in OR. My HMPK male handled it well and didn't seem to care at all. My HM males, on the other hand, were miserable. For them, I pointed a small fan at their tank. Took the temp down to into the 80s and they perked back up.

My fry tank is hovering at about 90 because of the heat the last few days. They are 4 days old today. None of them seem to be having any issues with the heat.
Enkil is offline   Reply With Quote