Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-05-2012, 09:34 PM   #31 
ravenwinds

Thank you Blue. I was thinking the same things regarding animal behaviour and allowing them to acclimate in a less stressful way. I have other "moss wall" divided tanks, and I know the fish are aware of each other. Tsar, my extremely alpha copper green/white marble dragon(bragging just a bit, the fish is so gorgeous and flirts w/me every time I am in neighborhood :)) and his copper OHM (sorry, no name for him yet...ideas welcome...beautiful copper that flashes copper, bronze, steel, and dark green) friend on other side of wall, definitely communicate w/each other. Honestly, I think that the "moss wall" divider allows two male bettas to have friends (not just spawning partners) in a stress free way that they couldn't have in the wild.

Again: don't try this: the more likely outcome is a big brawl w/ injuries and death!
ravenwinds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 01:27 PM   #32 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

My male betta is one of those really aggressive Bettas who attacks anything even my finger.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 02:06 PM   #33 
LadyVictorian

I loled at all the people trying to prove a point o betta care saying their fish lived to almost 2 years. I laughed and commented how short lived that was for betta's and how they just contradicted themselves. It's like saying 'Oh yeah I took great care of my cat and he lived a whole year... unfortunately feeding him would have kept him alive longer but oh well it's just a cat." Pretty much what they are saying about their fish...sooooo stupid, it's clear they never learned a damn thing about those animals. Ignorance is bliss and I bet it's warm putting their heads that far up their a**. Something has to keep away the winter chills right?
LadyVictorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 02:21 PM   #34 
NyaNyanNaa

+1 To LadyVictorian's post.

I hate when people on Ebay whom are re-viewing betta cubes say its perfect for betta's and go on to tell everyone that the fish was fine in that little hell hole.
NyaNyanNaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 08:49 PM   #35 
Blue Fish

I have three divided twenty gallon tanks, with just the plastic mesh as dividers, and of course the tank mates flare and swim around at each other. Well, one of mine got sick and had to be quarantined, and I realized that they were actually really lonely without the other one. The remaining fish just swam around and looked forelorn until his divided tank mate came back. I really do think they appreciate being able to see another betta. And as for exhausting themelves, mine don't. They rest in their betta cups (my answer to betta logs...small plastic drinking cups that float, works perfectly and cost me all of 99cents.) ;) and they have plenty of plants to hide in. I just thought that was an interesting side-note to this discussion. :)
Blue Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 09:29 PM   #36 
nel3

i think my VT was lonely also. he regularly had bad tail biting episodes whe he was alone ie once a week. had him in a 1g, 0.5g and 2.5g. he was fine behaviour-wise in the unheated 0.5g but the tank was small to begin with. anything larger (heated) he went after his tail. he got into the 5g divided heated later on and still has episodes but they're much less frequent ie once every 2-3 months.
nel3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 09:51 PM   #37 
crowntaillove

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Fish View Post
I have three divided twenty gallon tanks, with just the plastic mesh as dividers, and of course the tank mates flare and swim around at each other. Well, one of mine got sick and had to be quarantined, and I realized that they were actually really lonely without the other one. The remaining fish just swam around and looked forelorn until his divided tank mate came back. I really do think they appreciate being able to see another betta. And as for exhausting themelves, mine don't. They rest in their betta cups (my answer to betta logs...small plastic drinking cups that float, works perfectly and cost me all of 99cents.) ;) and they have plenty of plants to hide in. I just thought that was an interesting side-note to this discussion. :)

I find this true with my bettas too. I think they get loney and depressed by themselves, which is why everyone has a tank mate on the other side of a divider. :]
crowntaillove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 08:11 AM   #38 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyVictorian View Post
I loled at all the people trying to prove a point o betta care saying their fish lived to almost 2 years. I laughed and commented how short lived that was for betta's and how they just contradicted themselves. It's like saying 'Oh yeah I took great care of my cat and he lived a whole year... unfortunately feeding him would have kept him alive longer but oh well it's just a cat." Pretty much what they are saying about their fish...sooooo stupid, it's clear they never learned a damn thing about those animals. Ignorance is bliss and I bet it's warm putting their heads that far up their a**. Something has to keep away the winter chills right?
Do not forget some people get their cat very old and take excellant care I think you mean't kitten lived a year. My male Betta is two years old and only slows down at night. I agree I am only going to change my advice on fish from some one who had their Betta active and live at least 7 years.
Old 10-07-2012, 08:17 AM   #39 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

My current Betta lived a total of 3-4 months in a bad envirement he was never sick or tail nipping. It payed off he is in a 10 gallon planted, filtered tank, heated it plans do fill it to the top with plants at all levels. I feel bad for my male I consider 10 gallons really small I also have plans to build a 5 gallon tank with a plakat Betta.