Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-04-2012, 06:16 PM   #1 
Purple

Temperature Question

Last night, I got a new betta and a heater for his tank. I also got a thermometer for his tank and one other fish. I took my time acclimating him (it took me from 9 last night to 4 this afternoon), and the way that I acclimate I leave the water level low in the tank and the box said over and over not to use the heater unless it's fully covered with water, so I didn't turn it on. When I raised his water level, I plugged it in and let it do it's thing (it has a preset temp and all that jazz) but the temp in the tank is almost to 80 degrees, so it obviously didn't turn on.

I'm wondering how in the world the tank could just naturally be 80 degrees? It's 78 degrees out in the hallway in front of my room, but I keep my doors shut and my fan on so my room is pretty chilly (I usually have a blanket). It's the same with my other tank that has a thermometer but no heater (dumb boyfriend hid it -.- His sister is bringing it over sometime this week). Are my fish just so amazing that they radiate heat or something? HA!
Purple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 07:37 PM   #2 
Silverfang

It happens during the hotter season, at least for me. I've seen my tanks at 80, 81, 82 this past week during the day, simply because we have warmer than normal temperatures
Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 07:39 PM   #3 
nicebear24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfang View Post
It happens during the hotter season, at least for me. I've seen my tanks at 80, 81, 82 this past week during the day, simply because we have warmer than normal temperatures

Yep
nicebear24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 07:55 PM   #4 
Purple

But the outside temperature shouldn't affect my fish tank... xD My room is FREEZING! At least now I have the peace of mind that even though I'm shivering and my toes are going numb, my fish are comfortable. ;D
Old 07-04-2012, 08:01 PM   #5 
Silverfang

To be fair my place is sweltering. Even with two fans and the windows open.
Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 09:05 PM   #6 
ravenwinds

2 degrees is not that different. As a nurse, we can have a 2 variant on Blood pressures and thermometer. So, I wouldn't get that jazzed about a 2 degree variant with a store bought heater...preset ones aren't the best so I wouldn't expect it to be rocket science lab accurate. The preset normally run cooler, I have one that won't go above 76degrees.
The heater is probably working, would be my guess, except for the tank w/o heater...
ravenwinds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 09:09 PM   #7 
Purple

I'm not freaking out or anything, I just thought it was weird... I looked for one that I could set, but they're all like for 100 gallon tanks. I don't think my little betta in his little 2.5 gal would be very happy... The only adjustable heater there was in the store was half the size of my tank! HA
Old 07-04-2012, 09:21 PM   #8 
ao
TFK Moderator

does the water feel warm? if not, your thermometer is off.
ao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 09:24 PM   #9 
Purple

It feels cool. I doubt my thermometer and the thermometer in the heater both don't work. Plus, both of my thermometers say about the same temp.
Old 07-05-2012, 01:27 PM   #10 
vaw103

I have a couple preset heaters, also. If you look at the box, it should say something along the lines of "..maintains water temperature at 78+/-2*. So it's totally normal for yours to be running a little warm
vaw103 is offline   Reply With Quote