Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-04-2012, 08:07 PM   #1 
Stonehenge

I'ts been 6 days.

Since I got Popsicle and up until this point he has been swimming around enjoying his new home. So today I did about a 50% water change and got him a new heater and some other things. I didn't like the old heater so because it wasn't adjustable. I also put in an old plant that I had in another tank (it had been out of the other tank for about 2 weeks) and I cleaned it off with inferno heat water. I also added a bubbler that I had and he didn't like it very much so I took it out. But now Popsicle seems all mopey and depressed. He just kinda sits at the bottom of the tank or at the water line, he also looks to be clamping his fins down as well. He will swim up to my finger if i put it in the tank and I just watched him flare out his fins and gills but I can't help but think the little guy didn't like the rearranging of his home.

The tank is a 5 gallon with lots of silk plants and a plastic one, its a soft plastic, and his little bridge that he hides (well used to) hide under. The temperature is stable at 80.

Its almost like he is back in the pet store in his little cup....
Stonehenge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 08:09 PM   #2 
LebronTheBetta

Can you fill this out:
Housing
What size is your tank?
What temperature is your tank?
Does your tank have a filter?
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration?
Is your tank heated?
What tank mates does your betta fish live with?

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish?
How often do you feed your betta fish?

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change?
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change?
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change?

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed?
How has your betta fish's behavior changed?
When did you start noticing the symptoms?
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how?
Does your fish have any history of being ill?
How old is your fish (approximately)?
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 08:14 PM   #3 
Stonehenge

Okay ... well I would answer all of that but if you had actually read my post you would get the info you are looking for. Do you just cut and paste that every time someone has a question?

Ammonia- good
Nitrite - good
Nitrate - good
pH - nominal
Hardness -very soft
Alkalinity - low

And yes its filtered ... Tetra Whisper filter
Old 07-04-2012, 08:21 PM   #4 
LebronTheBetta

Chill, I just do this sometimes. I'm just trying to help. Maybe you should rearrange the decorations. If there are no symptoms of any disease, I don't know what's wrong with him. But, I do know that some Betta Fish do get depressed.
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 08:33 PM   #5 
Stonehenge

I did rearrange the decorations (said that in the OP as well). I understand you're trying to help .. but IF you would just read the OP 99% of those questions were already answered.

It just seems like a snub of an answer when someone asks a legitimate question and gets a full on questionnaire for a response.
Old 07-04-2012, 08:59 PM   #6 
Kim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonehenge View Post
Okay ... well I would answer all of that but if you had actually read my post you would get the info you are looking for. Do you just cut and paste that every time someone has a question?

Ammonia- good
Nitrite - good
Nitrate - good
pH - nominal
Hardness -very soft
Alkalinity - low

What do you mean by "good" for the water parameters? Are you using a liquid test kit or test strips? You say he's been in the tank for 6 days...my best guess is that you have some waste build up in the substrate that was released into the water column when you did your rearranging, causing an ammonia spike. Also, did you make sure to use dechlorinator and match the temp. of the new water to the tank water?

Since your tank is filtered do you plan on cycling it?

Hope this helps!
Kim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 09:04 PM   #7 
MyRainbowBettaFish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonehenge View Post

Ammonia- good
Nitrite - good
Nitrate - good
pH - nominal
Hardness -very soft
Alkalinity - low

If you fill out the sticky Lebron suggested, it will be much easier to see what is causing your betta to act so much differently. And yes, a lot of us here do cut and paste that when someone has a serious problem with their betta and need help. Remember, this is to HELP you AND your betta, and we just want to help you out with your little guy. Unless you fill it out, i can't really tell what is wrong.

I apologize for any offense and answers i could not give you.
MyRainbowBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 09:30 PM   #8 
ao
TFK Moderator

I dont think anyone is trying to hurt you, the sticky just makes relevant information easier to find. There are many people trying to figure out why their fish are sick in this forum, and this just makes it much easier. Don't take it so personally ok? :)

As for popsicle, depression is a possibility, but first you should get the water tested and figure out the values of the ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and PH.
Depending on how long the filter has been running previously, you may have unintentionally cycled the tank. And by taking it out, you probably lost that cycle. This is why testing the water parmameters now is important.

Also check the color of his poo as well as keeping an eye out for any physical change. if all seems well and he is simply depress, you can keep a mitror for him to flare at. Otherwise teplace the filter you took out, incase popsicle is missing his current.
ao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 09:34 PM   #9 
MyRainbowBettaFish

Quote:
Originally Posted by aokashi View Post
I dont think anyone is trying to hurt you, the sticky just makes relevant information easier to find. There are many people trying to figure out why their fish are sick in this forum, and this just makes it much easier. Don't take it so personally ok? :)

As for popsicle, depression is a possibility, but first you should get the water tested and figure out the values of the ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and PH.
Depending on how long the filter has been running previously, you may have unintentionally cycled the tank. And by taking it out, you probably lost that cycle. This is why testing the water parmameters now is important.

Also check the color of his poo as well as keeping an eye out for any physical change. if all seems well and he is simply depress, you can keep a mitror for him to flare at. Otherwise teplace the filter you took out, incase popsicle is missing his current.
+1 Agreed :)
MyRainbowBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 10:07 PM   #10 
Stonehenge

Filter is still in. Yes I tested the water with strips and every thing is nominal. I also let the water heat up to where the old water was and let the filter run for about 35min while the water heated up before I put him back in. Haven't witnessed him poop yet either. He seems alright I think he just isn't used to the change of his tank and he is pouting. I fed him a blood worm and he ate it up like it was the last one on the planter and his color is still good.

I used a gravel vacuum to clean his tank. And my substrate is glass beads of various sizes. I don't trust gravel because the last gravel batch I got had painted metal chips in it.

Last edited by Stonehenge; 07-04-2012 at 10:10 PM.