Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-04-2012, 11:00 PM   #1 
RainbowSocks

Exclamation HELP! Betta up filter intake!

I don't know how long he was there--no more than 45 minutes (that's reassuring ). When I came back, he was gone, long story short, he was up the filter intake tube.

His fins look like they went through a shredder. All of them. He's a crowntail. He's moving his fins/gulping for air like he's obviously exhausted.

I've got him in the cup he came in...

Should I set up a "hospital" tank? If so, how big? He's usually in a 10gal. and I don't think he'd be able to get from the bottom of the tank to the top with how tired he is. He does have a betta log...

Aquarium salt to prevent infections?
Water temp is at 80... change it?

I'm freaking out so any advice is welcome!!
RainbowSocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 11:06 PM   #2 
RainbowSocks

There's already stress coat in his water because I've only had him for 9 days and he had curling fins when I got him. T_T

Pretty much all of his back fin is completely gone. I've got like 1 inch in his cup so he can just rest. He's usually super active so I'm trying not to spontaneously combust as he sits motionless, gulping through his gills, and occassionally lifting his head just to take a breath of air.
Old 07-04-2012, 11:08 PM   #3 
LebronTheBetta

He has to go into a Hospital Tank. Make sure that it's at least 1 gallon. Keep the water extra clean. And keep him in a dark place to calm him down after that fiasco. If it's so bad, use aquarium salt. 1 teaspoon per gallon.
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 11:14 PM   #4 
RainbowSocks

Okay. How can I keep the water heated in a 1 gallon? I've got a 50W heater for the 10g right now. I'm afraid to leave him to go buy a 1 gallon container... would the bucket with measured sides I use to prep his tank water work? It'd def. stay dark since it's got opaque sides...
Old 07-04-2012, 11:16 PM   #5 
RainbowSocks

Also, would I put anything with him, such as his betta log? Obviously I have no idea what I'm doing... D:

Edit: He's all by his lonesome in the 10g... SO is the hospital tank to kind of quarantine his movements and make it easier for him to get to the surface?
Old 07-04-2012, 11:23 PM   #6 
LebronTheBetta

You need to find a way to make the water stable and warm. The bucket would be fine for quarantine. I think you shouldn't put the Log in just in case. The Hospital tank is to make him feel better with treatments. Like I said, extra clean water. Aquarium salt for extreme cases, and high-protein foods are optional. I hope he gets better! :)
Old 07-04-2012, 11:27 PM   #7 
jriley

For the moment, any safe small container would probably work--focus should be more on getting the fish closer to the surface so it doesn't have to work so hard. Definitely with dechlorinated/conditioned water and some aquarium salt. If you can float the container in the 10 gal aquarium, you can keep the water warm.

I had a fish live through being attacked and having ALL--and I mean ALL--fins chewed to the nub. I used clean dechlorinated/conditioned water (changed daily) with aquarium salt in a small cup, suspended in her usual aquarium. I also added BettaRevive, which was the only antibiotic kind of thing I had around the house. IT ONLY TOOK ABOUT 3 WEEKS TO COMPLETELY GROW BACK--ABSOLUTELY AMAZING. Take a deep breath, get your fish started in the hospital tank, and hang in there.
jriley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 11:32 PM   #8 
LebronTheBetta

Wait remember, don't use medications like BettaRevive. You don't need it.
Old 07-04-2012, 11:39 PM   #9 
jriley

Actually, BettaRevive is just fine. It's just some lower level antibiotics and such. It's BettaFix and Melafix you have to avoid at all costs, because both BettaFix and Melafix have ingredients that can be fatal to Bettas.
jriley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 11:41 PM   #10 
LebronTheBetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by jriley View Post
Actually, BettaRevive is just fine. It's just some lower level antibiotics and such. It's BettaFix and Melafix you have to avoid at all costs, because both BettaFix and Melafix have ingredients that can be fatal to Bettas.
As long as it's not that effective then I guess it's fine. Oh, and yeah. I've heard that it could damage their Labyrinth Organ.