Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-04-2012, 11:46 PM   #11 
jriley

Nope--that's either the Bettafix or Melafix again. And I found BettaREVIVE quite effective--my fish recovered,quickly. But back to helping RainbowSocks betta...
jriley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 11:48 PM   #12 
LebronTheBetta

No, I meant the Melafix and Bettafix. I just wanted to say that the BettaRevive isn't that necessary.
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 11:53 PM   #13 
jriley

Yeah, you might be right. Oldfishlady often says that adding tannins, which have some antibiotic properties, might have a similar effect. It would help rid the water of some microorganisms that might cause infection. Plus, bettas seem to like it.
jriley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 12:13 AM   #14 
RainbowSocks

I used water from his aquarium to fill the bucket with 1 gal. water and added aq. salt. Is that okay if there's no ammonia/nitrites in the water, and nitrates are 0-5ppm (Edit: also, tap water pH is really different than my tank's at the moment)? I've got his Walmart cup floating (rather, duct taped to the corner) half full in the aquarium because my room gets cold at night (like, last night it was 45 and the aquarium had even dropped a few degrees--I turned on the room's heater to avoid a repeat).

After some deep breaths it's not AS terrible as I thought, but it's still terrible. Most of his caudal fin is gone, but more of his anal and dorsal fin are there than I initially thought. Here's a brightened, grainy photo:

I gave him a pellet (which he ate) because I was changing water with his "feeding syringe" and he took the effort to swim over to it.

Last edited by RainbowSocks; 07-05-2012 at 12:28 AM.
RainbowSocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 12:35 AM   #15 
RainbowSocks

Now that he's holding still, I can also tell he's bloated. I had suspicions as he went flitting about his tank, and had already decreased his food the last 2 days. I feed him Omega One pellets (he's had 4 today, 3 at 7 this morning, and that little extra one which I now regret...), and the occasional freeze-dried bloodworm. *worry/worry/stress/stress*
Old 07-05-2012, 01:24 AM   #16 
Pataflafla

Calm down is the first thing.

Keep him in the cup you got him in and make sure there's enough water to cover him and give him some room to move. If he can still swim around rather easily, then you can fill the cup half to three quarters full.

Float that cup in his regular tank (Might have to attach it to a side with some tape to keep it steady and prevent tipping) so that you can keep the warmth consistent.

Change 100% of his water every day, keep up with the stress coat, and feed a higher protein diet. You can fast him for a day if need be as he'll probably be too stressed to eat at the moment.

Keeping his tank dark will also help him recover since he'll remain calmer and be able to rest as much as he needs.
Pataflafla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 08:24 AM   #17 
ANHEL123

You have great help but i just want to add something.
I think if he is bloated definitely feed him less. It you want to give him 4-5 pellets it better to pleat them for a few times a day. Blood worms i read a lot of people saying can be cause of bloating so don't feed with it every day. A few times a week is good of course as a meal (instead of pellets).

Aquarium salt 1 tsp/gall with daily 100% water changes for 10 days. It better pre mix salt in one gall jug for the right dosage and shake it make sure it dissolved.

And i don't understand anything about filters since i don't have them in my tanks but make sure it not that strong when you put fish back in the tank.
ANHEL123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 10:59 AM   #18 
Pataflafla

Putting some panty hose around the intake for your filter should help keep him from getting sucked up, but if it's strong enough to overwhelm him then you could use a bit of aquarium sponge to stick inside the intake to slow it down. Just clean out the sponge with each water change to make sure it doesn't clog up your filter.
Pataflafla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 12:20 PM   #19 
RainbowSocks

You guys have been awesome!
Turns out I put the guard over the intake tube on backwards. T_T <-*idiot*

But my dream came true this morning (and not the one where there was no guard at all and Iv kept getting sucked up the tube): buuuuuuuuuuuubble nest! He was pretty bright eyed and "bushy tailed" this morning, looked at me like, "Yo, wuzzup? I'm in the ******* cup. Where's the worm?" He will have to wait 'til he's not bloated for one of those. <<;

The Omega One pellets said 2-3 times a day, as much as he can eat in 1 minute. So I figured, twice a day, and judging by the fact he downed 6 pellets shot-gun-style the first time I fed him (and I stopped there), I was feeding him 3-4 at a time. Sooo, I cut that in half, will fast him for a day, and see how he does.

I think the only reason he got sucked up was I unbaffled the filter for the first time earlier in the day, and we played in the current for a good 15-20 minutes. I imagine he was tired from that when he swam by the intake (actually one of his favorite places to rest) and got surprise attacked.

And a weird question: how exactly would I do 100% water changes? Each way I think of seems haphazard and stressful to him. -_-
Old 07-05-2012, 12:28 PM   #20 
LebronTheBetta

You don't have to do that if you have filter. To do partial water changes, just use a gravel siphon. The joys of the filter... You don't have to do a 100% because of it *phew* :)
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote