Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-06-2012, 05:00 PM   #31 
RainbowSocks

Well, I intend to check the water every day across the board, but since it's cycled, I haven't seen the ammonia or nitrites above zero thus far (nor nitrate above 5ppm).

I was tentatively thinking 50% once, perhaps twice, a week--what do you suggest?
RainbowSocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 05:03 PM   #32 
WetBetta

Good to hear!!!
WetBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 06:13 PM   #33 
ANHEL123

I am personally would suggest just like you wrote 50% twice a week with regular vacuuming the gravel. But i am just love more water changes. I am personally think it better. I even know people who do more water changes for 10 gall and bettas live forever. So the way you wrote that i would do.

Also i saw people recommending to swish/wash filter in the backed of the old water with water change , or when water flow compromised. I think a few times a month. This one i don't know since i don't have filters and i don't cycle for any of my tanks. See what other people will write. I just want to bring it up so people can give you instructions on that. I guess you also need to wipe the walls too?
ANHEL123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 11:03 PM   #34 
WetBetta

IMO 50% water changes 2x week are fine. Any more and it causes more stress on the fish and rids the tank of beneficial bacteria... that's my opinion.

Just when you do water changes, leave the fish in the tank. Scoop out, suck out or what ever way you do it... the water. Refill with conditioned aged water. Add water very gently so as to not knock your fish around. I personally refill with a tube and let it run down the side of the container... not splashing into the existing water. Also, add it slowly as to not change the temperature of the existing water more than a degree or so.
WetBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 07:30 PM   #35 
RainbowSocks

Update: Iv is doing FANTASTIC. He's built a huge bubble nest, and his fin has grown back to about 50%. He's been active and Iv-like since I put him back in the 10 gallon, with no sign of infection/illness or even bloating.

Thank you all so much for your advice and support! Whew!

PS: Yes, that's the white filter media in the tank... I just got a new filter with an adjustable flow, and a guard that even I can't mess up. XD
Old 07-28-2012, 09:55 AM   #36 
ANHEL123

I love your tank, i am glad to hear good news. I don't have filters so i don't understand anything about them but is it safe to have that whate something that you have between rock decaration?
ANHEL123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 12:42 PM   #37 
Pataflafla

If going by design of your filter intake, I'd say it doesn't have much force to suck him up and he's probably aware of the current there to stay away from it.

It also doesn't look like it would be open enough to suck him into the intake.
Pataflafla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 03:12 PM   #38 
RainbowSocks

Thanks! ^^

I liked this one because the intake tube is one solid piece--my last one had a little bit of "assembly required," and I managed to assemble it wrong.

I'm sure if it'd been put together properly, there wouldn't have been a problem with it. :)