Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-05-2012, 07:34 AM   #1 
Calypso77

Think we have a new problem

Ok so if anyone knows my little guy had issue's with swimbladder and although he s still not going to the bottom of his tank he is eating well, pooping lots and not on his side any longer but now we have a new issue at hand I believe. If any one could please take a look at the photo and tell me what you think and what I should do know for treatment I would appreciate it a lot.

Calypso77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 07:40 AM   #2 
Purple

Please fill out this form and I will gladly help you and you fish. (:
Purple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 07:44 AM   #3 
Calypso77

Here is my previous thread if that is of any help to anyone. http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=104487
Old 07-05-2012, 08:03 AM   #4 
Purple

Great! Thank you very much.

Again, I'm very sorry if my thread offended you. See, I'm just dumb and I didn't check the other thread. :P Not your fault.

Annnnnyways... It looks like fin rot to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkMoon17 View Post
Tail rot or fin rot
•Symptoms: Betta’s fins and/or tail seem to be getting shorter and shorter or they seem to be falling apart and dissolving, Black or red along the edge of the betta’s fins/tail, Bloody tips, Behavior may not change
Treatment: Conservative: Treat with Aq.Salt at 1 tsp/gal. Increase water changes to 100% daily. Replace accurate amount of salt following water changes. Add Stress Coat to help repair tissue. If there is little to no improvement within the first 5 days, you can increase the salt dosage gradually to 2tsp/gal but do not continue any salt treatments past 10 days. Medication: If Conservative treatment is ineffective use API Tetracycline, API Fungus Cure, API Triple Sulfa, OR API Erythromycin. Also add Stress Coat to help regrowth. Continue until fins/tail stop receding and start showing some new growth.
ALWAYS use the "conservative" treatment first. Medication stresses fish out, so you want to make sure that you have exhausted all other options first.

In a 1/2 gallon tank, you should be doing water changes every day. I personally would do 50% every day, 100% two or three times a week. Also, flakes cause ammonia to build up in your water faster than any other fish food. Might I ask what kind of pellets you used before? Have you tried multiple kinds? One of my fish won't eat Omega pellets, but will happily gobble up my cheapo pellets that came with my other fish's tank (to my despair... Ugh). Did it specifically say "for bettas"? Have you tried live/frozen foods? I've seen drastic changes in my sister's fish since I moved him from BettaMin flakes to frozen brine shrimp.
Old 07-05-2012, 08:23 AM   #5 
Calypso77

For the past week I have been doing 100% changes every other day. When I give him his flakes because he drops a lot of them to the bottom I have been cupping him to feed him rather then dirty his home up so much. The flakes he loves is BettaMin by Tetra. The pellets I have tried in which my other Betta loves is Wardley Betta Pellets. I have a hard time getting anywhere to grab something else but tomorrow will be making a trip to Petsmart here in Canada so will see if they have anything different to try. I was told to stay away from frozen foods as that can cause swimbladder issue's which he has already had.

thinking maybe I should grab some AQ Salt tomorrow as well while I am there and Stress Coat.
Old 07-05-2012, 08:27 AM   #6 
Purple

I think you mean freeze dried foods. Frozen foods are pretty much equal to live foods in nutrition. I have no had a single case of SBD/constipation since frozen brine shrimp has become the main part of their diets (and I have accidentally overfed a few times, but don't tell anyone :P).

You sound like you're doing just fine! Keep this up and he'll be on his way to recovery in no time. (:
Old 07-05-2012, 08:37 AM   #7 
Calypso77

Ok I will check out their frozen foods tomorrow. Thanks
Old 07-05-2012, 09:12 AM   #8 
Aus

If you're going to a pet store anyway... why not pick up a cheap, bigger container for him and a gravel vac to siphon out the waste food/old water rather than cupping/changing 100% every 2 days?

The stress of being cupped all the time for w/c's and food is probably getting him down. That large chunk out of his tail looks like a bite to me, though it also seems a bit of fin rot has set in as well. You'd find it much easier to keep his tank clean and at the same avoid stressing him in a larger tank... pristine water and good food will likely get him healing quickly, but also cutting down the stress/chemistry shifts of new water all the time would mean he feels/is more stable.

A half gallon is not a lot of water, and even a little bit of fish pee = ammonia = sore skin = fin rot, gill damage. Okay, if you can keep up the changes. But think of the stress, which is why they fin bite. I have a chronic finbiter/anxious fish in a small kritter keeper of 1.5 gallons, he flounders and chews his fins off in anything bigger - but I do struggle to upkeep his water quality/deal with stress.. and that's in 3x the amount of water your fish is in.

Not telling you what to do. Just suggesting.
Aus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 09:24 AM   #9 
Calypso77

Thanks for the suggestions. Much appreciated. Can't afford a bigger tank right now though, they are not cheap here.
Old 07-05-2012, 10:06 AM   #10 
Perseusmom
TFK Moderator

Does he have any plants , they like something to sleep and rest in or just to hide out. Doesnt have to be real and just a small silk one would be best something he cants tear his fins on. If it can rip nylon it can tear fins. Keep his water very clean and best of wishes !
Perseusmom is offline   Reply With Quote