Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-14-2012, 07:36 PM   #11 
Alcemistnv
Member
 
Alcemistnv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Orange/Ulster County, New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by dramaqueen View Post
I can see both sides. The form IS rather long and takes time to fill out and when people are panicking about their fish it can be frustrating to fill out, plus not everyone cycles their tanks so the part about water parameters wouldn't pertain to everyone. On the other hand it helps if we can know the sick fish's living conditions, feeding schedule, symptoms etc. Also, clear pictures of the sick fish can help with a diagnosis.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCrabbyTabby View Post
Can I say something?

When I was posting for the first time in the emergency forum I wasn't aware of the form/template. In all honesty, I should have checked for one, seeing as most forums geared towards animal care, with an emergency section, have one. However, I was on a one track mindset with my sick betta and didn't think to check.

I think this is the case of a lot of new members who come on here looking for help for their sick betta(s).

+1 to both

When I first joined, I didn't know there was a sticky. My first post on this thread was months after joining.
There are a lot of users who joins specificially to ask about their fish's health, but don't realize there IS a form to add.
Alcemistnv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 07:46 PM   #12 
dramaqueen
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Central Texas
I think a lot of people don't know about the stickies and therefore don't read them. I've had members tell me that they were tired of telling people stuff over and over again because "dumb newbies don't read the stickies ". How are you supposed to read them if you don't know about them? I have actually had members tell me they don't like newbies which is ridiculous because we were all newbies at one time.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 07:49 PM   #13 
Alcemistnv
Member
 
Alcemistnv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Orange/Ulster County, New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by dramaqueen View Post
I think a lot of people don't know about the stickies and therefore don't read them. I've had members tell me that they were tired of telling people stuff over and over again because "dumb newbies don't read the stickies ". How are you supposed to read them if you don't know about them? I have actually had members tell me they don't like newbies which is ridiculous because we were all newbies at one time.
I was actually a staff member on a site called a "Newbie helper," and I was one of the people who actually lent a helping hand to Newbies. We gave them the tours around the site, and answered questions they had. I remember coming across many people who had that samee "I hate the newbies" attitude.

What I can't stand is ignorance. I really don't like it when someone asks for help, but denies it because it's not what "so and so did."
Alcemistnv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 07:49 PM   #14 
Calypso77
New Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by dramaqueen View Post
I think a lot of people don't know about the stickies and therefore don't read them. I've had members tell me that they were tired of telling people stuff over and over again because "dumb newbies don't read the stickies ". How are you supposed to read them if you don't know about them? I have actually had members tell me they don't like newbies which is ridiculous because we were all newbies at one time.
+100 to you Hun. Spot on the money.
Calypso77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 08:02 PM   #15 
Ilikebutterflies
Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
I used to frequent a horse forum and this topic always popped up. Someone would come on asking for help-usually a training issue. There are always steps that you check off first before asking for help. This should be no different. When advice was given it was always assumed-and it was pointed out that it was assumed-the basic steps had been taken.

Now, when I ask for help on here you can assume that I have ALREADY made sure my water parameters are within spec. You can also know that I already feed betta specific food and that I keep my tanks heated to the proper temperatures.

Perhaps instead of a sticky where you have to copy and paste then fill out a form a better sticky would be an emergency checklist complete with the correct answers that you can look at before asking for help.

STOP-before asking for help please read the following:

1. Are your water parameters correct?(ammonia 0, nitrites 0, etc.)
2. Is your tank heated between 78-82 degrees?
3.Have you done a 50% water change yet?
4.etc.
5.etc.

Make it a simple 10 steps or so. because really...what does it matter what size tank you have or if you have a filter? Why would you need to list the temp when you know darn good and well the temp needs to be within a certain range. Checking your water parameters will keep that in check. Why would you need to list your water parameters? If you bought the kit and test the water you know what they are supposed to be. If they are off then you fix that first.

People will take the easier option. If you make the correct option the easiest one you solve the dilemma. Perhaps a pop-up could come up asking if you read the emergency checklist when you click on the "new topic" button?

Last edited by Ilikebutterflies; 07-14-2012 at 08:08 PM.
Ilikebutterflies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 08:10 PM   #16 
Calypso77
New Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
I agree with most here. I think when someone has a sick fish/emergency they do panic and post right away, I see nothing wrong with that, if they have the time to fill out the stickie then great, if they don't but give a description of what's going on they shouldn't be raked over the coals for that. After all this forum is here to help and a lot of members are very knowledgable here and will do everything they can to help you with your problem. I think that is the main thing. People helping people and their sick pets.
Calypso77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 08:20 PM   #17 
Purple
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Alabama, USA
I've seen on other forums that they have a template for certain boards that pops up when you go to make a thread. Maybe we could transfer the sticky to that kind of template? It would be like you fill out the thing in a way like the "Subject:" "Message:" way, but more than that. If you know what I mean. :P
Purple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 08:26 PM   #18 
Calypso77
New Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alcemistnv View Post
I was actually a staff member on a site called a "Newbie helper," and I was one of the people who actually lent a helping hand to Newbies. We gave them the tours around the site, and answered questions they had. I remember coming across many people who had that samee "I hate the newbies" attitude.

What I can't stand is ignorance. I really don't like it when someone asks for help, but denies it because it's not what "so and so did."
I see your point. I'm not sure some will take all help given just because some might intimate them, as in for example one tells them to add 3 tsp AQ Salt per gal and another says only add 1 tsp per gal. I can see how that could confuse some or scare them as to what is best to do, they are already afraid their fish could possibly die. I have seen this happen on another forum...

Not sure if that is kind of what your meaning or not, sorry if it's not... :)
Calypso77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 08:30 PM   #19 
Purple
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Alabama, USA
This thread wasn't really targeted at newbies. It was targeted at people who write a giant block of texts basically saying nothing and when we ask them to fill that out they're like "You should have read that and you're being mean and blah blah blah" :P
Purple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 08:32 PM   #20 
Calypso77
New Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilikebutterflies View Post
I used to frequent a horse forum and this topic always popped up. Someone would come on asking for help-usually a training issue. There are always steps that you check off first before asking for help. This should be no different. When advice was given it was always assumed-and it was pointed out that it was assumed-the basic steps had been taken.

Now, when I ask for help on here you can assume that I have ALREADY made sure my water parameters are within spec. You can also know that I already feed betta specific food and that I keep my tanks heated to the proper temperatures.

Perhaps instead of a sticky where you have to copy and paste then fill out a form a better sticky would be an emergency checklist complete with the correct answers that you can look at before asking for help.

STOP-before asking for help please read the following:

1. Are your water parameters correct?(ammonia 0, nitrites 0, etc.)
2. Is your tank heated between 78-82 degrees?
3.Have you done a 50% water change yet?
4.etc.
5.etc.

Make it a simple 10 steps or so. because really...what does it matter what size tank you have or if you have a filter? Why would you need to list the temp when you know darn good and well the temp needs to be within a certain range. Checking your water parameters will keep that in check. Why would you need to list your water parameters? If you bought the kit and test the water you know what they are supposed to be. If they are off then you fix that first.

People will take the easier option. If you make the correct option the easiest one you solve the dilemma. Perhaps a pop-up could come up asking if you read the emergency checklist when you click on the "new topic" button?

Not a bad idea...
Calypso77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Just a slightly creepy note that I have to share Slipstitch Betta Chat 43 07-30-2012 03:48 AM
Rant/Anti Rant place. BettaGirl290 The Lounge 9 10-09-2010 10:34 PM
On the note of prolonged absences... BurnishedOchre Betta Fish Care 8 11-19-2009 07:25 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:30 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.