Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-05-2012, 09:25 PM   #11 
teeneythebetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple View Post
so if our little friend BettaFishLover1 goes off to pick up a tank from SerialKiller8000 and doesn't come online for a few days... Hey, at least we know who did it!
OMG.. Is it bad that I ROFL'd at that? I really shouldn't because it's a very serious thing but omg that was so funny xD
teeneythebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 09:52 PM   #12 
Purple

We should have some rules about this... Maybe you should kind of have to sign up for it? Have a certain amount of posts on this forum, or have been a member for a certain amount of time? Be reccomended? I like the post count one. If you don't respond in 2-3 days you'll get an email, and if you don't respond we call the police? :P Safety is #1. I think I trust someone who has been active on here more than someone with 2 posts including "hey come get my tank. I live in this dark alley and I'll be the one with the white windowless van with a bloody knife." Plus, they should work it out over PM, but then post "Okay, we're meeting at McDonalds on highway 555 at 3 pm and I'm bringing two friends" I understand we can't control what people do, but if they want to be safe, we should give them an opportunity to. Maybe we could have someone to post every 3 days or something to give little updates... The thread could get messy. It could be like
"BettaLover1/SerialKiller8000 - 6/1/12 - 1 day
BettaLover2/NicePerson9000 - 6/2/12 - Responded
MossGiver -Miami - Java Moss
PostageLover - Postange Only - 300 Gal. Tank"
or something... The first is if they haven't responded, and how long they have to respond. The second is that they're safe and all. The third is something that someone if offering and where. The fourth is someone who will only do it through postage.

Yeah, I'm just rambling about some ideas. We probably won't use all of them :P
Purple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 10:34 PM   #13 
ao
TFK Moderator

Oh and maybe some age limit restrictions? like shipping only for <15yo or pick up accompanied by a parent. I would never let my sister meet up with someone she met online without going with her. Good thing she doesn't really know how to use the computer yet :D
ao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 10:36 PM   #14 
Purple

Maybe a "If you're under ___ you have to bring a parent" but if you're five and miraculously can take care of fish decently and use a computer but you bring a parent we shouldn't discriminate.
Old 07-05-2012, 10:53 PM   #15 
Aus

I'm not sure if it's possible to limit posting by post count to a single thread.. in my experience with forum building, it was only by individual forum..I do think that would be a good idea, however.

Quote:
Plus, they should work it out over PM, but then post "Okay, we're meeting at McDonalds on highway 555 at 3 pm and I'm bringing two friends" I understand we can't control what people do, but if they want to be safe, we should give them an opportunity to.
I think that is also a very good idea. So is the 'bringing friends' part!!

I hate to think anyone here would be so utterly gormless as to meet a stranger alone.. but a free fish tank is tempting! I believe any genuine person offering freebies would agree to wait until the responder can organise a friend or parent to come with -- anyone saying, "oh no, you have to be quick or it'll be gone.. it's okay, come alone" is immediately suspicious!

Of course, I highly doubt bettafish.com is a haven for perverts. But as I'm seeing people sending each other addresses for postage, etc, anyway, I figured why not have a central thread where we can all keep an eye on things, and help people out at the same time...
Aus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 10:55 PM   #16 
Purple

I didn't mean to the one thread. I meant to the forum in general.

I think it's safer to just say, "Meet me at McDonalds" than "Send the tank to 555 I'mAFutureMurderVictim Drive" :P
Old 07-05-2012, 10:58 PM   #17 
Aus

Just in addition, re age restrictions: I don't think --anyone-- should meet a stranger off the net without bringing someone along, or if an adult who's reasonably confident of the person offering, at least giving the address of where they're going to someone, along with an expected time of return.

It's really basic common sense -- problem there is, it isn't actually all that common. ><
Old 07-05-2012, 11:14 PM   #18 
Purple

I mean no age restrictions, like anyone could get a tank or whatever. Not that anyone could go without an adult. :P
Old 07-05-2012, 11:16 PM   #19 
ao
TFK Moderator

I think it varies by location. In New York, I often meet stranges alone. But the definition of alone is still me in a public area surrounded by a bazillion people. Whereas in other places like Sydney, you tend to just drive to someone's house to pick up something
ao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 12:26 AM   #20 
Aus

I thin Australia on the whole is a bit better, that way, Aokashi. Which is nice. I'd actually rather go to someone's house or have them come to mine (where dwell the very large Irish as well as my other housemate..) than meet in the city or something.

Think I'll PM a few mods, see if we can get them involved in the discussion..