Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-05-2012, 03:49 PM   #1 
prodrumernate

info about cycling my tank

i cleaned out my 10 gallon the past week.making sure to kill off anything in it and start new..im trying to decide how i want to cycle it..i thought about buying feeder fish from a local pet store.maybe comet goldies or rosy red's...i do want to keep the fish if they survive.but since they are cheap.i thought it might be a good idea.i cant afford shrimp or anything.i have a lot of food.well flakes.but im not sure i want to use it because i dont want the food sitting at the bottom and have to vacuum it up all the time.and some of it getting down in my gravel..

i also have a 2 gallon that has been setup for months and do weekly water changes.non filtered.i was also wondering if that tank though not filtered has the BB in it and could use some of the water from it when doing water changes..it houses my female betta.

im not so much trying to hurry and do it.but making sure its done correctly and if possibly as quickly as possible.i want to move my male beta from my 1 gallon hospital tank into my 10 gallon..

any ideas about using water from my 2 gallon?and feeder fish?

prodrumernate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 03:54 PM   #2 
LebronTheBetta

You could use Guppies. Or even Pure Ammonia. I guess you could use the water from the 2 Gallon. You could get it when you change the 2 Gallon's water.
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 04:03 PM   #3 
prodrumernate

i thought about using pure ammonia as i read in the cycle process on here.currently dont have much money.just some loose change..only pure ammonia i could find was at a dollar store and im not too sure about using something cheap like that.its why i was thinking about using goldies or feeder fish.i can get a few with the money i have..though i mite be able to afford a guppy.i dont think i can afford 2..

i have another 20 gallon long and a 15 gallon hex..so i could put any gold fish or anything in it later..though the pure ammonia is like a dollar for 64 ounces.which really isnt a bad price.and would be a lot better than sacrificing any fish.though i know the rosy reds normally wont live long but are hardy enough for it.

i need to do a water change in my 2 gallon today.but i do like the ammonia and guppy idea :)
Old 07-05-2012, 04:05 PM   #4 
prodrumernate

well the guppy or ammonia.i didnt mean both of them combined
Old 07-05-2012, 04:07 PM   #5 
LebronTheBetta

You decide. Which ever works best for you, but I'm thinking Ammonia.
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 04:11 PM   #6 
prodrumernate

i think ill go with the ammonia..i like it better and will save a lot of fish,time and money :) thank you LebronTheBetta
Old 07-05-2012, 04:28 PM   #7 
finnfinnfriend

Just so you know, if you were interested in the shrimp method, you only need one shrimp, and if the fish guy at your grocery store is nice, he might just give you one ;)
finnfinnfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 04:45 PM   #8 
prodrumernate

i originally wanted to do the shrimp method..but didnt want to have to spend a fortune on shrimp.i dont eat it nor does any1 else here..but never thought of that :) thank you finnfinnfriend
Old 07-05-2012, 05:41 PM   #9 
Oldfishlady

If the only fish is going to be the Betta.....cycle with him....you can safely cycle with a healthy Betta-provided that you make the needed water changes...with or without testing products.....

The beneficial bacteria that you want to colonize are self limiting.....meaning.....that they are limited to surface area, oxygen and food source....If the finial stocking plan is just a single Betta....any extra BB from either fishless cycling or use of other fish will die/consume themselves due to limited food source/bioload.

Fishless cycling was started with the intention of being able to fully stock the community tank once the process was completed.
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 07:22 PM   #10 
prodrumernate

that was also something i thought about doing is just putting him in there..but am a little hesitant because i had 5 girls die in there(i learned from high ammonia and no properly cycling in he first place) then i put him in there.he got popeye..i noticed it quickly enough to take him out and treat him.he is fine and happy now.even trying to catch a glimpse of my female behind some paper i put to hide them from each other.

i want to put a few more fish.i do want some rosy reds..i also wanted to cycle with them as a means of testing my tank to make sure there is nothing in there to harm my betta.i know it sounds cruel.but its the only way i can test the tank.

i couldnt find any pure ammonia nearby.they all had other chemicals in it.my local Ace has it,but its more than i can afford.