Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-06-2012, 02:19 PM   #1 
finnfinnfriend

Question about cycling method

I really like the shrimp method, but I am a bit concerned about it. Won't a decaying shrimp harbor diseases and mold? Has anyone here used this method?
finnfinnfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 02:40 PM   #2 
Oldfishlady

Using a shrimp or fish food to cycle can cause issues later....

What size tank are you needing to cycle and your finial stocking plan, type of filter you are going to use and any plans for live plants....

Also, do you have a test kit on hand to test for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and pH, if so, what kind is it.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 02:56 PM   #3 
finnfinnfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfishlady View Post
Using a shrimp or fish food to cycle can cause issues later....

What size tank are you needing to cycle and your finial stocking plan, type of filter you are going to use and any plans for live plants....

Also, do you have a test kit on hand to test for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and pH, if so, what kind is it.....
I am actually not going to do any fishless cycles in the near future, but I have a ten gallon in reserve that I someday want to put just one giant/king betta in and nothing else. It has a marineland bio-wheel filter and I don't plan on using live plants. Also in the future I will eventually be doing a five gallon with just one regular size betta, a small power filter, and no live plants.

EDIT: oh and I have the API master test kit
Old 07-06-2012, 03:13 PM   #4 
Oldfishlady

When your stocking is going to be a single Betta in a filtered tank....Cycling really isn't that big of an issue....Regardless of what the Betta is in you need to make water changes....The only difference in unfiltered and filtered is the ability to establish the nitrogen cycle and the need for 100% water changes.

Since the stocking is a single Betta-monitor the water prams and make the needed water changes. If you don't have water testing products on hand-make an extra water only change weekly over and above your regular weekly with vacuum to be safe-If you have testing products- make the extra water only based on water prams of 0.25ppm or greater with ammonia, nitrite...remembering that some additive can cause false readings so not to make any unneeded water changes....

The fishless cycle method was develop so that you could stock the community tank safely once the cycle was established. When your dealing with a single Betta its not needed per se and can be done safely with the healthy Betta-Plus all that extra beneficial bacteria you just colonized for higher bioload will die/consume itself since its self limiting based on surface area, oxygen and food source.....
Old 07-06-2012, 05:17 PM   #5 
finnfinnfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfishlady View Post
When your stocking is going to be a single Betta in a filtered tank....Cycling really isn't that big of an issue....Regardless of what the Betta is in you need to make water changes....The only difference in unfiltered and filtered is the ability to establish the nitrogen cycle and the need for 100% water changes.

Since the stocking is a single Betta-monitor the water prams and make the needed water changes. If you don't have water testing products on hand-make an extra water only change weekly over and above your regular weekly with vacuum to be safe-If you have testing products- make the extra water only based on water prams of 0.25ppm or greater with ammonia, nitrite...remembering that some additive can cause false readings so not to make any unneeded water changes....

The fishless cycle method was develop so that you could stock the community tank safely once the cycle was established. When your dealing with a single Betta its not needed per se and can be done safely with the healthy Betta-Plus all that extra beneficial bacteria you just colonized for higher bioload will die/consume itself since its self limiting based on surface area, oxygen and food source.....
So you are saying for a single betta tank (I'm assuming 5gal and up) a fish-in cycle is fine and safe?
Old 07-07-2012, 12:30 PM   #6 
Oldfishlady

You can safely cycle with a healthy Betta provided that you make the needed water changes...with or without testing products on hand....
Old 07-07-2012, 07:11 PM   #7 
finnfinnfriend

Okay. Thank you so much OFL! :)