Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-13-2012, 07:20 PM   #1 
Joelouisvachon

Stimulate the Senses

[font="Georgia"]My male betta Blu-green (I call him Blue) is an easily pleased fish. He blows new bubble nests every time I destroy them when cleaning his tank.

Lately I have wanted to do more for him than feed and clean his tank. I think this is normal betta owner behavior, so I've went with it. I've heard some betta bite their fins out of boredom.

To 'exercise' Blu I make him follow my finger and jump between pellet feeding. I also hold up a mirror or my own face to provide entertainment for him.

Is this a good idea, and if not, how else can I make my fish's life pleasing? I'm worried this may be considered 'teasing'. How do you stimulate your betta's senses?
Joelouisvachon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 07:52 PM   #2 
jeremywadejunior

I let my betta follow my finger a lot and I also do the mirror thing occasionally too. I've heard that re-decorating or re-arranging their tanks every now and then will give them more to explore and keep them interested. Today I let a ping pong ball float around Junior's tank; I turned the filter up so the current would push the ball around. He seemed very interested in it, so I let him watch and nibble at it for a few minutes before removing it so he wouldn't get bored with it. As long as your fish seems engaged in his surroundings, he won't get bored. :)
jeremywadejunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 08:03 PM   #3 
Alcemistnv

Oh, that's definitely not teasing, don't worry :)

I think you're doing awesome with what you're doing now. What I do with Buddha is take a hoop, and train him to swim through it :)

I reward him with bloodworms (very tiny pieces) everytime he swims through. I also do the mirror trick. I don't have him jump because I'm a very jumpy person when it comes to that, so I actually get scared and fling his food in the air xD
Alcemistnv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 08:11 PM   #4 
Joelouisvachon

It's good to know I'm not doing anything wrong.
Old 07-13-2012, 08:20 PM   #5 
Alcemistnv

No no, you're doing everything right ^^
Old 07-13-2012, 08:34 PM   #6 
Joelouisvachon

When I first bought him about five months ago I chose him for his aggressive behavior, and he seems quick to flare. Is this a sign of a healthy, active betta or does it suggest stress? He doesn't have any stress lines and seems happy... I may as well get all my questions about the mental health of Blu while I'm here.
Old 07-13-2012, 08:45 PM   #7 
Alcemistnv

I actually made a thread about it, let me find the link..

Here it is :D

http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=104893
Old 07-14-2012, 07:52 AM   #8 
Joelouisvachon

Thank you, that was helpful, although everyone who answered the question answered it differently.
Old 07-14-2012, 07:56 AM   #9 
Purple

You're not really doing anything BAD, but if I could do it all over again I wouldn't have trained my female to jump for food. Now she's decided that every time she's not where she wants to be, she'll jump. I have to keep a lid on her cup when I do water changes, and I'm always afraid that she'll somehow jump out of the tiny hole in her tank lid. I've heard that it teaches them to jump out of their tanks, but I don't know if that's the reason she does it. It's for you to decide.
Purple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 09:39 AM   #10 
Joelouisvachon

When I first got Blu I was warned that Betta fish could jump, and to always have a lid on aquariums. I don't keep a lid on the little cup I put him in while I clean his tank, but I will now. Thanks for the warning.