Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-05-2008, 10:35 AM   #1 
amandalynn

Question...

I am a new betta owner. I actually am on my second fish seeing as the first one I had got sick the day I brought him home from the pet store and then, despite my efforts, died two days later and the pet store only had a twenty-four hour guarantee..

Anyway, I have Henry in a two-gallon tank with a heater and filter. I'd love to upgrade his tank to a five-gallon, but I simply don't have the space. He's active and healthy and likes to show off. But I was wondering about light. Do bettas need light? Should I keep a lamp or something next to his tank so he can have light at night? Or is it irrelevant?

Also, can someone tell me what they would think the best way to do water changes would be? I was thinking on changing half of it twice a week. Would that be okay?

Thank you!
amandalynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 01:33 PM   #2 
willow

hello and welcome aboard.
nice that you have a filter and a heater,your Betta will
thank you for that. :)
i htink once a week wouold be quite ok,make sure you use a
dechlorinator for the water befor you add it to his tank,
no need to touch the filter,as it needs to build up bacteria
to eat up the waste in the water produced by your fish,
eventually when you need to clean the filter,Please clean it
in old tank water,Never Tap water.
where is the tank at the moment ?
willow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 02:18 PM   #3 
Cody

You won't and shouldn't keep a light on for fish at night. Fish need to go through night and day cycles, just like humans. It sounds like he is doing well.

Half of it twice a week would be a good measure. Be sure to buy some dechlorinator (Not expensive at all) for your fish.[/list]
Cody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 03:43 PM   #4 
amandalynn

The tank is in my room, in a well-lit area, except at night, of course. It's good that I don't need to worry about light at night, because light bothers me when I sleep! lol

I cleaned it, filled it with drinking water (not distilled, because I heard that isn't the best kind to use) and used betta conditioner and let it sit for a little over a day before putting Henry in.

I also tested the PH, ammonia, nitrates, etc today and everything is good except the PH is a bit high, but not unsafe (7.5). The temperature in the tank is about 76-78.

Anyway, Henry is gorgeous, bright blue, veil tail with a little bit of red in his fins. He seems to be doing quite well!

I have two different kinds of pellet food (Omega One Betta Buffet Pellets, Wardley's Essentials Betta Pellets) I plan on rotating when I feed him so he gets a variety of food. I also have freeze-dried bloodworms to give him as a treat. He ate some today, and the bubbles from the filter had pushed a piece of a worm up on the side of the tank just above water level and he jumped up to grab it and eat it! It was very cute.

Thanks for all the advice! Is there anything else I should do for him?
Old 01-05-2008, 04:13 PM   #5 
Cody

Quote:
Originally Posted by amandalynn
The tank is in my room, in a well-lit area, except at night, of course. It's good that I don't need to worry about light at night, because light bothers me when I sleep! lol

I cleaned it, filled it with drinking water (not distilled, because I heard that isn't the best kind to use) and used betta conditioner and let it sit for a little over a day before putting Henry in.

I also tested the PH, ammonia, nitrates, etc today and everything is good except the PH is a bit high, but not unsafe (7.5). The temperature in the tank is about 76-78.

Anyway, Henry is gorgeous, bright blue, veil tail with a little bit of red in his fins. He seems to be doing quite well!

I have two different kinds of pellet food (Omega One Betta Buffet Pellets, Wardley's Essentials Betta Pellets) I plan on rotating when I feed him so he gets a variety of food. I also have freeze-dried bloodworms to give him as a treat. He ate some today, and the bubbles from the filter had pushed a piece of a worm up on the side of the tank just above water level and he jumped up to grab it and eat it! It was very cute.

Thanks for all the advice! Is there anything else I should do for him?
Your doing everything as you should. I wouldn't change anything.

I would feed him the Bloodworms once or twice a week.
Old 01-05-2008, 06:58 PM   #6 
amandalynn

Ok good.. I want to make sure he lives as happy a life as he can!

That is the best picture I can get of him, but that gives you an idea of what he looks like.
Old 01-05-2008, 07:00 PM   #7 
Cody

Cool colors. Is he like a dark blue/purple color?
Old 01-05-2008, 07:07 PM   #8 
amandalynn

Yeah, he's dark blue on the body and it's a brighter blue on the fins.
Old 01-05-2008, 07:31 PM   #9 
Sushi

He's very pretty. For some reason, his colors remind me of a mermaid! :D
Sushi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 07:51 PM   #10 
amandalynn

Haha yeah, they do look mermaid-ish!