Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-05-2012, 07:52 PM   #1 
Sena Hansler

Fiona's got a huge cut...

Must've happened last night. I checked on everyone as I fed them just now, and Fiona's face looked "puffy" and I saw why - a HUGE chunk missing out of the side of her head behind her gill... The other side has a small cut. I figured out from what (I almost thought "hole in the head" or "columnaris" when I saw it...) one of the ornaments tipped and she tried to go into the base of it - which has holes too small for anything but newborn live bearer fry!!!

She's in a 10 divided, Meagan on the other side. She's active, eating, responsive, etc...

My question is for a cut that big... Should I quarantine? Since my heaters have been dying around every corner from mysterious shattering and uncalled for over-heating.... I only have two heaters currently - which is tight on space. Although the quarantines are upstairs (room about 85-90....)

And should I use any meds? I mean she is fine every other way other than a huge indent in her side where everything's been scraped off...
Attached Images

Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 12:08 PM   #2 
Goldibug

I would add bettafix and some additional stress coat or prime to make sure an infection such as ich doesn't set in. I hope she heals quickly for you!
Goldibug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 12:13 PM   #3 
Goldibug

Last edited by Goldibug; 07-06-2012 at 12:15 PM. Reason: double reply
Old 07-06-2012, 12:16 PM   #4 
Sena Hansler

Well, I do not own bettafix... I won't even use it :p I have other meds - including both handy salts, maracyn2, furan 2, parasite meds, fungal meds etc.

She's acting just fine, but she's in a divided tank xD I was wondering if I should remove her (risking stress)
Old 07-06-2012, 12:27 PM   #5 
Goldibug

Out of curiosity, why don't you use bettafix? I would treat the sore how you feel is best but keep her in the tank as long as she keeps looking/acting fine. No need to add stress to the equation.
Old 07-06-2012, 12:38 PM   #6 
LebronTheBetta

Bettafix and Melafix can harm the Betta's Labyrinth Organ.
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 12:55 PM   #7 
Sena Hansler

That and I have had 2 males die after I used it... And they weren't even on their death bed :( I didn't even think I used that much haha. I asked the store about it, and even they said people were complaining about bettafix

I'll try leaving her in there and keep it superbly clean.... We're moving mid july-first of august.
Old 07-06-2012, 01:03 PM   #8 
Goldibug

That's great to know! My friend has said great things about it but I've never personally used it. I'll pass this information along to her as well. What do you suggest for betta injuries?
Old 07-06-2012, 01:06 PM   #9 
LebronTheBetta

Well, maybe some Tannins to help a bit, I'm not sure about Aquarium Salt with open wounds. Just keep the water cleaner then ever to prevent infection. Also some high-protein foods to help get more tissue and heal.
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 01:10 PM   #10 
BeckyFish97

The best thing you can do for her is keep the water as clean as possible, maybe some tannins to help prevent infections, I think with the open wound being so...open, it wouldn't be a good idea to put any salt in, as it could do more harm than good...but I'm not certain on that one...
BeckyFish97 is offline   Reply With Quote