Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-05-2012, 09:27 PM   #1 
rachelled

Introducing mates for the first time?

Hi there, sorry if this is redundant, I've read all over..

I tried introducing my new female to my male HM today and got a bad result. My male HM became territorial and proceeded to terrorize my female. I separated them of course.

I have two other males I could try to set Missy up with, but I'd really like to breed my halfmoon...

Any tips for a starter? How long to let them see eachother before introducing them physically, when a pair just won't work, etc.? I've read many guides and I understand it's really touch-and-go, but I'm wondering if I'm overlooking something basic.

Is it doomed for this pair, or can I acclimate them to eachother somehow?
rachelled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 10:23 PM   #2 
Qw3rTy

first put your betta in a transparent jar taller than your tank or with a lid.the male and female will start flaring,when you see white stripes on female(vertically)then she is ready to mate,the male will start making a bubble nest,after that your can release the female.the male might chase the female for awhile
Qw3rTy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 10:29 PM   #3 
MrVampire181

Glass chimney. Go to a thrift store and get a glass chimney for old fashioned lanterns. They cost $3 at most. They don't disrupt the pair because they're open ended allowing for easy removal.
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 10:37 PM   #4 
rachelled

There were white stripes on her! :)

But the chasing seemed violent, there was definitely nipping from the male. I didn't see any bubble nest. Is it safe to leave them together?
Old 07-06-2012, 01:15 AM   #5 
Enkil

Chasing and nipping can be part of the process. You just have to know when it goes too far.
I had this problem only it was my female that was terrorizing a male. She has the double tail gene and so I put her with my halfmoon double tail. Instead of going after his fins, she was going for his body. I removed him because of this.
A lot of females and males get nipped fins during the spawning process.
Enkil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 01:38 AM   #6 
indjo
TFK Moderator

Were they flirting before the chasing started? If so. let them be. Otherwise take them out.

You don't have to wait for the male to build bubble nests nor the female to show breeding bars. BUT they MUST flirt - curving kind of swimming, all over the tank. If both released, they will do the "follow the leader" thing until the male decides to bite which will send the female to hiding. Even though they are in a process of spawning, aggression will take place. Some males may be so vicious and tear off most of the female's fins. This is normal - as long as the female can take the beating, let them be. But if she is motionless in a corner .... cancel and medicate her.

If they were in fighting mode - let the male flare to another male for about 30 - 60 minutes. Make sure the other male isn't in a small jar because it might stress him. Do this daily with different sparring partners.... your HM should flirt swim, and even might make a bubble nest. Now introduce the female, she should flirt swim too or show breeding bars. When you're certain both are in breeding mode, you can either immediately release the female or leave her jarred for a day or two.
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 09:46 AM   #7 
rachelled

Just as an update:

I took her out and put her back in a jar where they could both see eachother. I left her there for about 12 hours and just released her now...

They are taking turns following eachother around the tank, all or most of the aggression is gone at this time :)

Assuming they stay this way more or less, is there a good chance they'll spawn in the next couple of days?
Old 07-07-2012, 01:44 PM   #8 
rachelled

Nothing deadly, but I'm noticing some nipped fins on the male now. Should I be worried...?
Old 07-07-2012, 01:49 PM   #9 
LebronTheBetta

Isn't that normal? I'm learning about breeding, and I think that it's normal for them to nip or chase. Unless it goes to far. If they are interested in each other, I think they would be fine.
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 02:45 PM   #10 
rachelled

I think so yes! It's my first time though so I'm worried about every little thing.