Betta Fish Forum banner

questions on grow out tanks

1K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  Sena Hansler 
#1 ·
Still dealing with my surprise babies! They will be 3 weeks old on Sunday and I am getting confused about switching them to a bigger tank. They are in a 5 gallon tank know, and I know I have read they should go into at least a 20 gallon, but when? And since this was not planned the biggest one I can switch them to is a 10 gallon but I only have about 20 fry so I am hoping that will be OK? I think I should leave the bottom bare, but what about the water? Do I have to cycle it? Or since I should do frequent water changes, does that mean I don't have to? And do I start filling the 10 g with water from the 5 g? Should I keep my corner foam filter going when I switch them, or can I switch to a hang on the back filter, I have too many questions!!! But they have made it this far and I am really afraid I am going to kill them switching them to a new tank!!:-?

#2 ·
Well lets get into the science of grow out tanks.

1. Space. Development of fish is very dependent upon how much space they have. A 5 gallon cannot successfully grow 50 bettas.

2. Water quality. That many fish in a small tank can lead to spikes in ammonia which will kill them.

3. Hormones. Fry produce a growth stunting hormone. With dozens of little guys producing it they can all end up very small and deformed.

An ideal grow out tank is 30 gallons. For smaller spawns a 20 gallon will do.

I generally move my fry at one month of age.

#4 ·
This. Very much this! Its cheap and just as effective as a big, fully set up glass tank.

#6 ·
If you used your 10 gallon, the more water changes the better. Not only because of waste management, but because of the growth stunting horomone given off by the fry can alter how fast and how big the fry can get. I did 50% twice a day for my fry and he got nice and big, a lot faster than a previous spawn I had. I liked doing more water changes because it enhanced growth so much more!!

Moving fry you have to be very very careful and acclimate slower than say...an adult. I'd use the original water, halved with tap water.

#7 ·
Now you are starting to realize the work involved.

I have a strong plastic trash can that I fill with water and heated with a 200w heater for aging water. I condition the water with Indian Almond leaves. About once a week with the big tubs and 29 gallon I do almost 90% water change with this aged conditioned water. the Jars I do every 2 days 100%.

#9 ·
Agreed! I have a 17.8 gallon tub I can use for my next spawn :lol: Try having a few grow outs - one for the slower growing fry, and one for those who are larger, if you intend to have the fullest survival rate possible.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.