Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-06-2012, 12:24 AM   #1 
TuckerLove

Help needed ASAP!

Ive never had a betta have a problem before. I am distraught right now. I feel horrible because I gave in to my emotional problems and ended up with 9 bettas in 1 month. I dont need to be crictized about it. I feel awful. I cant do anything about it now, other then try to help this fella out.

Housing
What size is your tank? 10 gal
What temperature is your tank? 77
Does your tank have a filter? yes
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? no
Is your tank heated? yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? 2 others in a divided tank

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? TetraBetta
How often do you feed your betta fish? 2-3 pellets once daily

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change? 2x a week
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? (1) 100% and (1) 50%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? BettaSafe water conditioner

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters? No, ran out.

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? he looks bloated
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? he is having bouncy problems and swimming. He swims on his side and he will take a sharp dive down and then shoot back up.
When did you start noticing the symptoms? I went to lay down at 11:30pm and I went to check on them, nothing was wrong. I went to get a drink at 1:20am and he was acting up.
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? No, no clue what could be wrong. I separated all 3.
Does your fish have any history of being ill? No
How old is your fish (approximately)? No clue, Ive had him almost 1 month.
TuckerLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 12:56 AM   #2 
WetBetta

If you could post a picture it would help.

My first thought is swim bladder disorder. And if that is the case try feeding him a thawed frozen skinned green pea. Seriously. Don't feed him anything else. If you can, lower the water level so that he can have easy access to breath from the surface. Also try to get your water temp up to around 82. If you can't do these things in his current tank because of other fish, you may need to move him to a different container.

But do take a look at his scales ... are they poking outward? This is very important because treatment will be different that what I stated above for the swim bladder.

Keep us posted! Hope the little guy gets better soon.
WetBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 03:49 AM   #3 
Blue Fish

He could have dropsy, which is really bad, or he could have swim bladder disease, which is not so bad.

Here is information on both from the Resident Vet Student ;) DarkMoon17:

Dropsy
•Symptoms: Your betta will have a bloated belly and raised scales. They will look like a pine cone. This is usually a fatal disease caused by an internal bacterial infection resulting in internal organ failure but many have had success bringing fish back when treated quickly.
Early Symptoms: Swollen eyes (important), Gray belly (important), Clamped fins, Lethargy. If your fish has swollen eyes and a gray belly, I suggest that you treat it for Dropsy.
•Treatment: If you spot the early signs of Dropsy then treat him/her with ES (epsom salt, sold at drug stores, just make sure it's PLAIN, no scents or anything)at 1-2tsp/gal and Jungle’s Anti-Parasite pellets while performing 100% daily water changes. It helps to increase the temperature to 84*F. If he/she has begun Pineconning then do the full course as described below:
Performing daily 100% water changes. Increase the temperature to 84*F. Add 1-2 tsp/gal Epsom Salt. Use API General Cure OR API Erythromycin OR Maracyn II and/or Maracyn for best results. Feed something containing Metronidazole, for example, Jungle’s Anti-Parasite pellets. If caught early, Dropsy is curable.

Swim Bladder Disease (SBD)/Bloat
•Symptoms: Betta has trouble swimming, maybe he can’t stay upright and can only swim on his side.
•Treatment: This is not a contagious or fatal illness. If it isn’t congenital (aka a condition that he/she has had since birth), then it is caused by over feeding or feeding the wrong foods. Bettas will typically recover after a day or two of Epsom Salt treatments (1-2tsp/gal) and fasting. You can help prevent a reoccurrence by switching to a better pellet food, feeding less and offering a more varied diet. To make it easier for the betta to eat and breath, you can make the water shallower. You can offer him/her frozen daphnia (sold at Petsmart) as daphnia will help him/her pass stool. DO NOT FEED THEM PEAS.

Why do you feel so bad that you've saved nine bettas? As long as you are taking care of them, then having many is nothing to be ashamed of. :) If you have too many and you are having trouble caring for them, then you could try posting up an emergency link on the sales forum, and I'd bet that someone would be willing to adopt some out from you. :) It's not the end of the world, and they are better off with you either being your taken-care-of pets, or adopted out through you to someone else. :) I always feel that just about anything is better than being in a pet-store solo cup. :)
Also, if you're having an emergency, you can always put them into 1 gallon bowls. You'll need to change their water frequently, and you'll need to keep their room temp up to make sure they don't get too cold, but you won't need a filter or heater and they can live happily for a while in smaller bowls. :) Bigger is better, but they can have a good temporary life in those smaller containers. :)

Here are some suggestions for keeping them safe/happy if you need to put them into small containers or need to "keep it cheap":

- Check out local thrift stores for 1+ gallon glass containers. They don't have to be fish bowls, just something that's roughly as wide as it is tall (so nothing too tall and narrow), and glass, clean it well, and betta can live in it on the cheap. :)

-you can also check for glass containers at walmart and grocery stores. Sometimes you can get cookie jars and other glass containers here for cheaper than you can a regular "fish bowl" from the pet store.

- Betta can also live in rubbermaid. ;) It sounds silly, but they really can. The large shoebox sized containers are great, they hold about a gallon and a half and they're usually only 2-3 dollars at walmart, so you can get them cheap. I've used them frequently as hospital and quarantine containers, and my boys don't care a whit. :)

- If you need to keep them in a warm room, right now since it's summer, and you live just about 3 hours from me (and if it's been as hot in Louisville as it's been in Knoxville...heating is NOT a problem! ;), so I'd think that we're having similiar weather. I've put my fish into a small bedroom or bathroom before, and keep the door closed, that will keep the room warmer without you having to raise your entire household thermostat. And if it *still* needs to be warmer, you can open a window, right now that'll definitely get your ambient temp up. :)

- oh, and you don't need hoods or "traditional" tank tops. You can use picture frame glass laid across the top of the tanks, or plexiglass, or even plastic food wrap taped across the top. All of it will help to keep the temps in your tanks stable, and help to keep the humidity at the water surface up to help their breathing and keep them healthy. :)

Good luck to you, and I hope that your boy is feeling better soon!

Last edited by Blue Fish; 07-06-2012 at 03:52 AM.
Blue Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 09:25 PM   #4 
TuckerLove

Last night was just overall a bad day with family drama and then when my little buddy got sick it made things worse. Im pretty sure he has Swim bladder. He is swimming way better now but still a little off. Im going to treat him for it and hopefully it helps :) Im not really overwhelmed, just upset that I have to wait until the end of the month to buy them stuff >< Hate my pay period.
Old 07-06-2012, 09:34 PM   #5 
Tikibirds

Sounds like SBD to me. 1 teaspoon of epsom per gallon should do the trick OR if you cant buy the epsom right now, fast him for a few days. fasting should work as well. Regular, unscented epsom works quicker though.

can he get to the top OK for air? If not, lower the water level a bit.
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 11:09 AM   #6 
TuckerLove

I picked up some epsom salt last night. He is swimming fine now
But is still a little bloated so ill keep him in epsom salt til monday.ill change his water soon
Sinces hes in a small container.

Yea its been over 102 for 9 days straight here.