Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Meet the Betta Keepers
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-06-2012, 06:53 AM   #1 
kai

plant's for beta tanks'

Hi im abuslotly usless when it come's to naming plants and identifying them.
Does any 1 have any recommendations for plant's to add to a beta tank other than moss balls and floating moss,amazon java's and other java's and Dwarf Grass's.
The tank is 18g 60cm long 32 wide and i plant to cram 70-80% with plants of varying size's so long stemmed or low growing is best idea's as this is where they spend most of there time also anything native to Thailand would be awesome as-well .. here is some ive looked at tho not to sure if they do

Sagittaria Subulata Dwarf Grass (forground )
Swamp Cabbage ( may need a visual lookalike rather than the real thing)
Water Lily Plant

Also has any 1 tryed to grow Luckly Bamboo Dracaena sanderiana in a hooded aquarium ive read it just means lots of pruning to keep the leaves in the available open space above the water as they quickly mulch under water for prolonged times
kai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 08:02 AM   #2 
Laki

I thought bamboo roots would rot in a tank? I could be wrong.
Um amazon sword, anacharis, hornwort, java fern, java moss. There's a sticky thread in the "betta fish habitats" section. Might help you out.
Laki is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 08:25 AM   #3 
kai

To be fair it's only adopted the name bamboo the 1s sold in loacl markets in posts are an under canopy usto growing in waterlogged condition's its more a bogplant then a bamboo so the roots do well submerged just the leaves that dont like to be prolonged exposed , Ive read the thread ill take a better look tonight and them in deapth i enjoy not seeing the beta's becouse there busy in the plants u no ur doing something right :)
Old 07-06-2012, 08:31 AM   #4 
Laki

Maybe you're right about the leaves.. I know they sell them in a vase of water usually and the leaves are left out. . .
Laki is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 08:38 AM   #5 
kai

IM interested in them but the fact they grow in feet from the water lvl are they worth hacking down to hood hight for just a visual effect in the water.. buy some fake bamboo for that ... or i could go hood-less and use floating lights or the new t5 rack's but then i run the risk of burning the poor betas lungs with different air to water temp's ...
Old 07-06-2012, 08:59 AM   #6 
registereduser

I am not good with plants but so far I've had success with money wort.

Mo's thread about plants is great, click on my sig and you will find it plus more informational threads.
registereduser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 10:33 AM   #7 
kai

iv just found a local grower of salvina natans hes selling 40 at 1 so i think ill go with some for surface cover also been a floating plant they may also hang out in the roots looks beautiful also .. tho planting under it will have to be something less light loving