Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-06-2012, 09:38 AM   #1 
Bettanewbie60

Question Pop eye or just Buddy?

Okay, I'm getting paranoid where Buddy is concerned. He is my first betta, and was in extremely bad shape when I got him, really bad looking fins, one gill flap stuck open etc. His fins look better, his gill is the same. He does not have any signs of being ill. He eats great, had energy, and good color. I had noticed his eyes kind of bulge compared to other pics I've seen, so now I'm worried. He is due for a 50% water change today. He is in a 5g, unfiltered tank. Any advice would be welcomed.
Attached Images

Bettanewbie60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 01:40 PM   #2 
Pataflafla

If you could get an overhead picture that would help the diagnosis fairly well.

Also, what is the temperature your tank is at and when you got him, did you acclimate him to the new water source?

If his eyes are cloudy, it's water quality you should look at, but if his eyes are clearly bulging out (Some bettas do just have big eyes though) then it could be something else.

If it's something like this picture, then treat with plain, unscented epsom salt at 1 tsp/gal. Dissolve the salt in some tank water before adding as the salt crystals can burn your betta, but the dissolved solution won't. Once you've started this treatment, continue for 7 days with 100% daily water changes. Redose the salt after every water change to be sure that the correct amount is being used. you might also water to move him into a smaller container to make the water changes easier.
Attached Images

Pataflafla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 01:44 PM   #3 
Bettanewbie60

Thanks Pataflafla...his eyes do not look cloudy or nearly that puffy. I'll try and get another pic later today. The pic of him in my album are bigger...maybe you can tell from that, but again, he seems well, so I may just be freakin'!
Old 07-06-2012, 01:46 PM   #4 
Bettanewbie60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pataflafla View Post
If you could get an overhead picture that would help the diagnosis fairly well.

Also, what is the temperature your tank is at and when you got him, did you acclimate him to the new water source?

If his eyes are cloudy, it's water quality you should look at, but if his eyes are clearly bulging out (Some bettas do just have big eyes though) then it could be something else.

If it's something like this picture, then treat with plain, unscented epsom salt at 1 tsp/gal. Dissolve the salt in some tank water before adding as the salt crystals can burn your betta, but the dissolved solution won't. Once you've started this treatment, continue for 7 days with 100% daily water changes. Redose the salt after every water change to be sure that the correct amount is being used. you might also water to move him into a smaller container to make the water changes easier.
Oh, and his water temp is a steady 80 degrees, ph is a bit high, 7.8, but has been that since day one.
Old 07-06-2012, 02:48 PM   #5 
Pataflafla

I'm thinking he just has big eyes. I always worried about my crown tail Ratchet having pop eye, but he's just bug eyed with a small body.

Short bodies and big eyes seem to be a trend with crown tails. Watch for bloating since their bodies are so short. He'll probably get sbd easily if he gets really bloated, so just keep an eye on his food intake.
Pataflafla is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pop eye