Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? no
Is your tank heated? Yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? none

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? walmart betta pellets
How often do you feed your betta fish? 2 times a day

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change? 2x a week
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 1 50% and 1 100%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Prime

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters? All his params are in safe levels. I check them once a week.

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? No
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? More lethargic
When did you start noticing the symptoms? A few weeks ago
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? No
Does your fish have any history of being ill? No
How old is your fish (approximately)? I have had him 2 years, but would guess he could easily be 3 years.

So just a bit of backround i got him two years ago and he was already fairly large. I believe based on his size he is a king. He is almost 3 inches. He has been fine in his 2.5 for all this time while me and my sister (its her fish) decide on the size of tank. its only been recently I have decided he really needs an upgrade. Going to buy him a 5g today. But anyways he is lethargic, hangs out by the heater. And when I feed him he can't seem to swallow his food like he used to. I was feeding him some better food but he stopped eating it, so I switched back to these cheap walmart pellets and he tries to eat, but just spits it out. I tried breaking it down but it doesn't work. He eats bloodworms fine though.
He used to be fairly active, and eat great. We recently moved and I wondered if that wasn't the problem, but I don't know. I also wonder if it isn't just age. I just get the feeling he isn't going to be around much longer. But I am also hoping a change in tanks will perk him up. Any ideas?
a123andpoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 12:01 PM   #2 
Goldibug

He could simply be getting old and picky about his food but it is possible he is bored of his tank too. Switching him to a new larger tank will help if he is bored. Make sure the tank is cycled before you add him and that he is acclimated properly. I use Tetra Safestart to cycle my tanks. With a fish in the tank it takes less then a week to fully cycle. When I first added my tetras my 29 gallon cycled in 24 hrs. Everything was 0 except nitrAtes which stayed at 5 with the small bio load. Here's a great link on acclimating. http://www.liveaquaria.com/PIC/article.cfm?aid=157 I prefer the drip acclimation method. It puts far less stress on the fish and I haven't lost one yet acclimating this way.
Goldibug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 04:26 PM   #3 
a123andpoof

I am not cycling the tank yet. I know how to cycle and stuff. I have other tanks. Anyways picked up a 10g for him today and will be setting it up soon. Hopefully that helps.
Old 07-06-2012, 05:12 PM   #4 
WetBetta

One sure fire way to lift his spirits is to get a female and put her next to him or float her in his tank!!! I know, I know... not a good reason to get a female, but if you happen to have one, ya know. Perks their butt right up!

Hope your guy gets to feeling better soon!!
WetBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 07:55 PM   #5 
mlasater

My advice is to watch him carefully. My betta did the same thing. He's about 3 years old. He started being less active and was more picky about his food, then he got EXTREMELY sick and almost died. He had a huge array of symptoms, but somehow he pulled through. This is obviously an extreme case, but I just encourage you to watch out. I chalked it up to old age and then he got sick. I hope your little guy lives a long and healthy life
mlasater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 08:37 PM   #6 
Aus

It really could just be that he's having some issues adjusting to the new water chemistry, if he's lived his whole life in a different water source.

Did it all start shortly after you moved?
Aus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 09:55 PM   #7 
a123andpoof

@wetbetta I have females and he has even seen females and other males. In all his years living with me I have never seen him flare. He shows no interest in other fish. Or people for that matter unless they give him food. Actually he has always acted depressed. Now its just more so.

@ mlasater thanks for the heads up will keep an eye out.

@Aus yeah as far as I know. He is usually in my sisters room. I just feed and do water changes. I usually check them out everyday during feeding. As he has gotten older he has gotten lazier, but now its just more so. and it bothers me that he doesn't eat anything but bloodworms. Its like he wants to eat but cant.

Today he got upgraded to a 10g. I will filter it later on. For now just 2 water changes a week. He seems a bit happier, so we will see.
Old 07-06-2012, 10:57 PM   #8 
WetBetta

Cool! Keep us posted!!
WetBetta is offline   Reply With Quote