Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-17-2012, 01:01 PM   #21 
indjo
TFK Moderator

Maybe he's just psychotic. Have you ever tried taking the eggs and see if they'll hatch. All you need is a few to hatch to prove that he is fertile.

If he is fertile, give him a long rest and use a different set up. Then, when you breed him, don't disturb him at all except for removing the female. If he still eats them ..... he is psychotic. Most of my current males are psychotic.
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 01:09 PM   #22 
tpocicat

That sounds scary...psychotic....
tpocicat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 01:19 PM   #23 
indjo
TFK Moderator

Lol. It's frustrating having egg eaters. It's more frustrating if these egg eaters are the ones you want offspring from.
Old 07-17-2012, 02:08 PM   #24 
tpocicat

I can understand that! My current "problem" is the pair I would like to breed. The female is too large for the male. Now I have to find another male.
tpocicat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 02:10 PM   #25 
Creat

tpocicat: thats always my problem I have no idea how it happens...
Creat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 10:17 AM   #26 
indjo
TFK Moderator

IME; males bred young and to young female - say sibling, originally same size. When spawning is complete, the male tends to the eggs and fry and will fast or only eat a bit. But the female on the other hand will return to a sorority, a bigger tank with lots of food. Inevitably the male will stop growing while the female continues.

To avoid this, I usually keep the female in a small jar and intentionally reduce her growth. This is useful if I plan to breed offspring to mother - 4 month old offspring = the size of mom.

How much bigger is the female? If she's not that much bigger and the male can still embrace her, you can breed them. Sometimes I fast the female or feed her merely enough and make her thinner (bigger females) because many of my females are too fat even for a slightly bigger male. In such case I put the female in an old planted tub fed once every 1-2 days. They will survive on what ever live larvae are in the tub, but will be thinner in a week or two.
Old 07-18-2012, 11:52 AM   #27 
Creat

My females are a good 1/2 cm bigger and plenty fatter. I will try fasting next time on my females. I think the big girls could do without ;)
Creat is offline   Reply With Quote