Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-06-2012, 03:39 PM   #1 
Blue Fish

Velvet?

Okay, never had a fish this color before. He's been home from Petco for about two weeks, eats great, no distress, seems to be completely fine and healthy...then I took a picture of him...and I'm seeing these gold colorations. :P (sticky is filled out below)

Can they have velvet and by asymptomatic? Or is this just his coloring? Also, he has a tank mate, treat them both?

Housing
What size is your tank? 10 gallon divided, so 5 gal per fish
What temperature is your tank? 76-78
Does your tank have a filter? not yet (getting it cycled)
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? no
Is your tank heated? yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? divided tank, 1 other male betta

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? HBH betta bites, NLSpectrum, and occasionally tetra betta flakes and blood worms
How often do you feed your betta fish? 2x/day

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change? 50% every 4-5 days (I check the ammonia, and whichever comes first: over 0.25ppm, or 5 days has passed since last change)
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 50%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? API water dechlorinator, and Jungle Right Start (stress coat, mostly for his tank mate who had serious ammonia burns and was a tail biter until he left his solo cup of doom at Petco)

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia: not quite 0.25ppm, but not quite 0ppm either. Using the water test kit with the solutions, no strips
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 0
pH: 7.2
Hardness: 100 (fairly soft)
Alkalinity: 120 (ideal)

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? he is gold dusted
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? no change, swims, eats, no gasping, no laying on the bottom, very active
When did you start noticing the symptoms? took a photo yesterday
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? not yet, not sure if he needs it
Does your fish have any history of being ill? no
How old is your fish (approximately)? 6 mos? Looks to be an adult, just came home from petco about 14 days ago.

Thanks in advance!
Blue Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 04:57 PM   #2 
Sena Hansler

He looks just fine to me. Some do have a natural irridescent color on them.

Quote:
Signs: Like ich, it can be found in small traces in the healthiest of tanks. But it will attack any unhealthy, or stressed fish. You may not be able to see velvet easily, unlike ich. Shine some light on the fish, and even use a magnifying glass to see the gold dust on your fish. Advance stages their skin begins to peel.
Take action immediately. Sometimes this is not diagnosed before the fish is in the advanced stage. Once detected, immediately raise the temperature (about 82-84 F), Take out your carbon filter cartridge, dim the lights, begin using Aquarium Salt, and treat with Copper Sulphate for ten days. Jungle also makes velvet medication. Instructions should be on the back of the item.
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 01:23 AM   #3 
Blue Fish

Okay, does anyone have any pictures of what velvet *does* look like they could share? He's seemed a bit less active the last couple of days...but I'm not sure if he's becoming used to his larger tank and he's not exploring anymore.
Old 07-08-2012, 01:26 AM   #4 
Sena Hansler

Only one I could find.

I have never ever had a fish with velvet.
Attached Images

Old 07-08-2012, 01:50 AM   #5 
Blue Fish

Okay, so it's more like a coating of sand-like particles than a yellow/gold sheen...Thank you so much for your help!! I read on the sticky that it often isn't realized until it's advanced, and I was worried about him, but this looks pretty significantly differnet from what Chaucer has.
I hadn't treated him yet, and I'm glad I held off. :)
Thank you so much for your help!! :)
Old 07-08-2012, 01:51 AM   #6 
jriley

I've think you've just got a gorgeous betta! Congrats!
jriley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 04:15 AM   #7 
Blue Fish

Well thank you! :) I wasn't sure if I liked his color or not at first...(petco rescue) but he has brightened up quite a bit and his colors are showing up more as he's been home. :) I actually bought him because the other fish in his area were sick, and I was worried that he'd get it too if I left him.
And he was curious about the camera flash, hence the weird twisted position he's in. :)
That yellow doesn't show up on him much without the camera flash, and when I saw that I immediately thought OH NO, he's got velvet...and he's sharing a divided tank with a betta who's still recovering from some serious ammonia burns...what have I done... ;) So it was *SOO* good to be able to come on here and get some information about velvet and what it looked like. :) This is such a wonderful resource for bettas! :)
Old 07-08-2012, 10:08 AM   #8 
Sena Hansler

It is always good to double check anyways! The velvet tends to be like icing sugar powder - with that yellowy gold sheen to it.