Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-06-2012, 03:46 PM   #1 
mekashiyu

Unknown snails in a cycling tank, advice on how to get rid of them?

Okay, potentially silly question time.

I bought some anubias plants a little over a week ago and since it was my first try with live plants I just plonked them into my (empty, cycling) tank without cleaning them. Aaaaand now I have a small collection of tiny snails crawling around in there. Since I don't know what kind of snails they are (too small to tell at this point), I want them out of there before I put my bettas in. However I don't want to have to completely restart the cycling on the tank, either.

I've already taken the plants out and put them in a bucket of water for the time being, hoping I can starve the snails left in the tank. But I don't know how long that would take, or if it's even possible. 8/

Any advice on ways I can completely decimate these guys without restarting the tank? Preferably without having to buy any kinds of fish or other snails right now since it's only a little 10 gallon and I have no other tanks to move them to after the job's done (and I'm still undecided about getting proper snails for the tank).
mekashiyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 04:43 PM   #2 
mekashiyu

It seems like stirring up the gravel with the vaccuum also stirred up some larger snails. I took a few pictures of the biggest one I could find just for identification's sake:

Maybe someone can ID these guys so I know what exactly I'm dealing with here?
mekashiyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 04:43 PM   #3 
Silverfang

Probably pond snails, or possible trumpets. I'd suggest the bait and remove method. Put a piece of rinsed lettuce or cucumber or some other green veggie in there when you turn out the lights. In the morning it should be covered in critters and just pull it and them out.

Edit: yep, those are ponds/bladder snails. Harmless but they multiply like mad. They were hiding on your plant, it's quite common.
Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 04:59 PM   #4 
Aurie

They look like an apple snail.. I had one for years and it never had babies.. I had it in with a comet in a 10 gallon. It was a "trapdoor" snail like you'd find in a pond or lake.

If you ever do want snails, I'd suggest zebra nerite. I've had one for 2 months now and it just had 1 baby, which I"m going to give to a friend once it's a little older.

I never thought of the bate and switch method, it'd be easy to do now that there are no fish in the tank, and it shouldn't harm your cycle if you don't leave it in for long.

I had snails in my garden once, I did a bait and kill method LOL.. tin cans with fruit and soy sauce.. LOL

If you want to be semi humane with the "disposal" you can put the bag (full of snails and food) in the freezer for 24 hours then dispose of it that way
Aurie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 06:15 PM   #5 
Silverfang

those are not apple snails. http://i485.photobucket.com/albums/r...orary-1396.jpg these are young apple snails (2 months).

Definitely pond snails in those pictures.
Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 02:24 AM   #6 
KristiS

I had those little buggers in my tank too. They only grow to be about 1/2 inch. The cucumber trick worked really well. I also scooped out as many of them as I could (played "crowd control") and took out my live plants and gave them a good wash in warm water. Without the plants in the tank and frequent water changes the snails just stopped showing up. They hide in the gravel too, so you need to vaccum as much as possible to get them out. I've been over a week snail free now :)
KristiS is offline   Reply With Quote