Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-06-2012, 03:55 PM   #1 
LebronTheBetta

Breeding Basics, Please!

Hi fellow experienced breeders! I really want to start breeding early next year. And I've heard how hard it is and how most of the time it doesn't work. Whether it's sickness in Fry, or the Male and Female don't like each other, or other things. I already decided on the Fry Foods and I know it's best for brothers and sisters to mate to get better Fry. Please tell me all you know, and don't worry. I already know about finding homes, culling, and equipment. I want to know all about breeding and be the best breeder in a few months. I know it's going to be a lot of work and money. I just need to know the best techniques and ways to be the best breeder possible. :)
Please tell me anything you can give away and I still have a few months to go. Who even knows if it's still late next year. It depends on my parents. O.O
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 04:08 PM   #2 
jeffegg2

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by LebronTheBetta View Post
Hi fellow experienced breeders! I really want to start breeding early next year. And I've heard how hard it is and how most of the time it doesn't work. Whether it's sickness in Fry, or the Male and Female don't like each other, or other things. I already decided on the Fry Foods and I know it's best for brothers and sisters to mate to get better Fry. Please tell me all you know, and don't worry. I already know about finding homes, culling, and equipment. I want to know all about breeding and be the best breeder in a few months. I know it's going to be a lot of work and money. I just need to know the best techniques and ways to be the best breeder possible. :)
Please tell me anything you can give away and I still have a few months to go. Who even knows if it's still late next year. It depends on my parents. O.O
If you read a lot on here, you would begin to thing that breeding is a futile effort. I have three spawns this year, everyone successful first time.

If you use fish that are old enough to breed, have been properly conditioned, and put them together, nature WANTS to make more bettas!!!

Learn to keep fish, then become a breeder. Having a fish in a bowl does not make you experienced in keeping fish alive. Nothing wrong with a beginner striking out into the unknown, but it is a lot of work keeping 200 fish alive and healthy!

Clean water, not over or under feeding. Right temperature. Sounds simple, but apparently not so if you believe all the troubles on here!!

Best of luck!
Jeff.
jeffegg2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 04:19 PM   #3 
LebronTheBetta

Thanks! I would never put a fish in bowl. Even if it is a bigger size. What is the average amount of fry do you get in a spawn?
Old 07-06-2012, 04:27 PM   #4 
WetBetta

It takes a lot of time and patience. I can assure you that you won't be the "best breeder in a few months". It takes years to be even a good breeder. There are always new things to learn. New tricks. New methods. Most people, myself included, get nothing from the first several attempts.

First thing you need to do is to know how and where you will be keeping your fry and juvies. Plan ahead. And know that there will always be something you forgot. LOL! Everyone will have at least a slightly different method.

Learn about water conditions for fry. Learn about the growth inhibitor hormone. There are time consuming things that really must be done every day to have good healthy fry. And it really all starts with having a good healthy pair that are willing to mate.

It's not something you just do... it takes A LOT of planning and A LOT time. And make sure you have enough hair in your head to pull out in the process. Trust me!
WetBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 10:05 PM   #5 
Curlyfatbottom

The basic on breeding n fry care is at the top of this form

No breeder going to tell you all his/her secret

Breeding is not about number it's about quailty
Massive culling
You must learn how to pick your fish n select off from the spawn

A keen eye will help
The only way to get it is trail n error
Curlyfatbottom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 10:12 PM   #6 
LebronTheBetta

OK. Learn by mistakes. Find best pair. So much culling. I read the Stickies. I wish I knew the secrets...
Old 07-06-2012, 10:29 PM   #7 
vilmarisv

Here you go: Betta Breeding Basics
I've always thought this is a good info page for those starting because it has a lot of pictures and explains behavior.
vilmarisv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 10:32 PM   #8 
LebronTheBetta

Thanks for showing me! I'm going to start reading. :)
Old 07-06-2012, 10:40 PM   #9 
WetBetta

The problem with what you are asking is that there is no set of rules to breeding. There is no one right way. There are too many variables that affect why things are done during breeding to even begin to put on paper. And then, after a successful breeding, again... way to many different things affect a person's decision of what to do next with the fry. It's not as cut and dry as you think.

There are plenty of sources out there that tell you many different ways to breed. Many different aspects of the entire process. It's way too much to type it all out. If I were to do that, I might as well write a book. Start with the basics. Try it out. Then ask specific questions.
WetBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 10:45 PM   #10 
LebronTheBetta

Thanks, WetBetta. I learned a lot from what you typed. There are no rules. Which means, no limits. I learned a lot more but...