Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-06-2012, 06:10 PM   #1 
kfryman

Algae is driving me mad!

In my NPT I have been plagued by Green Spot Algae, hair algae, and some kind of weird clear slimey stuff on the plants. I am getting the hair algae under control and I am cutting or throwing plants away that have the clear stuff or a type of algae. I just want to know what the best way to get the algae out is and what the slime is. And if CO2 would help.

15 gallon NPT densely planted, been setup for like 6 months. Lights are T5s at a bit above 3 watts a gallon, forgot how much each bulb is lol. Lights are only like 2 months old.
kfryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 06:52 PM   #2 
TonyMar

Google Algae Scrubber and look for the site that is the dot Net.
I have 3 of these and they work great. This is not the magnet that cleans your glass, this is a way to grow algae inside or outside your tank and not on your glass, rocks, plants or anything else. People there are very helpful and the Administrator is great.
TonyMar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 06:59 PM   #3 
ColleenT

Try some nerite snails. you can get them at AZ gardens online. the plain olive colored ones are supposed to be best for eating algae. i had many problems in a natural planted tank years ago. i used fluorite ? i believe it was as a substrate and had many plants but algae took over. the lighting i had was too much and everything combined just was a disaster. i had to empty the tank and get rid of everything. ( plants not fish). you might have a good chance with nerite snails and possibly less sunlight on the tank if you can possibly prevent it. good luck
ColleenT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 09:31 PM   #4 
kfryman

I have three zebra nerites already, don't know where one is I always only see two. Sunlight on the tank is next to nothing, it is just very intense light for the tank and I need to start injecting CO2, but right now I need something that will help stop the algae not keep it in small amounts.

Oh lights are on 10 hours exact (timer), and I dose Excel every day.
Old 07-07-2012, 07:40 AM   #5 
twinjupiter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfryman View Post
In my NPT I have been plagued by Green Spot Algae, hair algae, and some kind of weird clear slimey stuff on the plants. I am getting the hair algae under control and I am cutting or throwing plants away that have the clear stuff or a type of algae. I just want to know what the best way to get the algae out is and what the slime is. And if CO2 would help.

15 gallon NPT densely planted, been setup for like 6 months. Lights are T5s at a bit above 3 watts a gallon, forgot how much each bulb is lol. Lights are only like 2 months old.
My sorority is slowly winning the war against algae. Remember, treat the cause and not the result. Constant frequent water changes, less light per day, and less feeding if you can help it.
I also discovered this amazing site on algae. it lists the different types, their causes and treatment options.

http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/f...formation.html

I hope this was helpful, and good luck! :)
twinjupiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 08:43 AM   #6 
kfish

Do you have any fast-growing plants? It sounds like your plants aren't using enough of the daily fertilizer so the algae is blooming on the excess. I'd cut back fertilizing to 2x a week.

CO2 would help, but you can balance it without CO2 since you don't have too much light. I have 4.5 wpg and sunlight and no CO2 and it's fine like that so long as I keep my fast-growing plants able to grow. I fertilize with Flourish 2x a week. I did have CO2 for a while (yeast and sugar) and it really did make the plants grow like crazy, though. I just don't have the funds to maintain it right now, even though it's so cheap. broookeee

Oh! Another thing you can try is switching to siesta method (if you don't inject CO2). Lights on for 5 hours, off for 4 hours, on for 5 hours. This allows the plants to produce more CO2 in that 4 hours of darkness to consume for the rest of the day. I have mine on that schedule.

Last edited by kfish; 07-07-2012 at 08:45 AM. Reason: Siesta method!
kfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 02:58 PM   #7 
kfryman

I was thinking of doing that but does it affect the fish or plants? I have heard of it, but I get a bit of sunlight, so would that mess it up?

I have tons of rotala, wisteria, some ludwigia (had to get rid of some), hygro corymbosa, micro swords (those arent doing to good though), dwarf sag ( Doing super good). I think that I might need more CO2 as the plants do use it.

I am going to be rearranging the tank in a week or so, getting rid of amazon swords and getting crypts. I just hope the rotala will come out easy, they are rooted super good!
Old 07-07-2012, 07:57 PM   #8 
kfish

Siesta method? It affects the plants in that it makes them grow better! Sky doesn't seem to care. I just tell him it's nap time. ;) I get a ton of morning sunlight in my tank, but it stops hitting the tank so much at about midday, and that's when the light goes out. You can always adjust the schedule accordingly.

Just watch for the pH drop if/when you add CO2. I had to take Sky out and float him in the tank because the pH dropped fast. It ended up going from 8.5 to 6.4 over a course of three days. But it didn't fluctuate at all after that. My kH is 8, though.
kfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 08:12 PM   #9 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

Woah. That is WAY too much ferts for a low tech tank. The plants don't have enough CO2 and can't use the nutrients. You need to balance light, nutrients and CO2. Your nutrients are way out of balance and that is why you have algae.
Yes CO2 will help, but even in a high tech tank you shouldn't be fertilizing more than 3 times a week.
Posted via Mobile Device
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 09:10 PM   #10 
Aus

Under those lights and in an NPT, the plants should be thriving on their own, or with a dab of regular flourish now and then, just not as fast as with co2. I think daily excel might be a bit excessive.

I plan to use the siesta method when I get some timers.. heard great things about it.
Aus is offline   Reply With Quote