Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-06-2012, 06:48 PM   #1 
LizzyP

Why do I torture myself like this?

I went to Petco today, instead of Petsmart for Stress Coat. And I looked at the bettas, like I know I shouldn't.

I pulled 3 dead ones off the shelf, and more than 5 that needed water changes. The woman told me "We go around every night and get rid of all the dead ones" It broke my heart. I called my mom and asked if I could get a 10 gallon to bring home and put a divider in to give 2 bettas a new and much better home, but she said no. I cried, right there in the store. Bettas with no fins, scales floating around in the water, ones just laying on the bottom. However, there were some nice ones but of course they were eye level in the front.

And to make matters worse, I found a dead snake. I'm not big on snakes & reptiles but I like to look at them and sure enough, a dead snake.

I will never shop at the Petco ever again. It breaks my heart looking at these animals not taken care of.

Sigh.
LizzyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 07:14 PM   #2 
ZergyMonster

I actually refuse to get petco fish anymore, the store that is nearest my house has some of the worst looking fish in their tanks. Even walmart has better fish (Though not much better) Either way pet stores have been losing their credibility with good pet owners and are losing business because of it. Soon enough there will not be enough people to rip off and they will have to change their ways but until then we will have to see dead and dying fish.

I've been known as heartless but sometimes it just works better for me as it is quite unfortunate to see so much life wasted.
ZergyMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 07:20 PM   #3 
LizzyP

I never cry in public, but I just stood there and cried. I felt awful for the fish that I couldn't save. Let alone the ones that were dead, including the snake. The guy that took the dead snake out was incredibly uneducated, even I know that if 1 snake has a disease, the other one in the tank is probably infected, too.

The fish that had their scales/fins floating around with them could be easily treated, given the right employee. I would do it for free, if they let me...Bleh. Makes me want to go home to my own fish and tell him how lucky he is...
Old 07-06-2012, 11:59 PM   #4 
BETTACHKALOVE

Oh Lizzy done that too. I even tried to change the water at one of the pet store near where i am working. I know what you feel. I always afraid to go to the store.
But i think you should make complain. I did it once. I called corporate...
BETTACHKALOVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 12:03 AM   #5 
LizzyP

I did send an email to corporate, so I'm waiting for a response. I just feel...Bleh. Bad.
Old 07-07-2012, 11:58 AM   #6 
misty1477

I really try to stay away from the pet stores. I hate seeing all the Bettas in those damn cups :( I try to buy my supplies online instead.

IDEA: Is there any way that we can have these forums sent via email or something to ALL of the Walmarts+PetCos+Petsmart stores AND their corporate offices???? Maybe that would wake them up about Betta care.

I wish I had a big enough house to have a HUGE fish room. I would go to all of those stores and save the poor Bettas.

I have 7 kittehs and my kids call me the 'crazy cat lady'.....WOW would they call me the 'CRAZY FISH LADY' :)

BTW.....I spend more time on this site than on my FaceBook page ..... LOL
misty1477 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 08:29 AM   #7 
Catfish Billy

I know how you feel. Even my LFS keeps bettas in awful conditions; cube containers. All of the bettas there had AT LEAST mild fin rot. There was a notice that claimed "You can keep a male with a female" and "They need to be kept at room temperature (20 Celsius 68 Fahrenheit)". What absoulute rubbish-my mum tried to persuade me to get a female for my male but, of course, I said no and told her the notice was complete rubbish. I don't understand how people can keep animals in general in these awful conditions; do they not have a conscience or even moral rules? :(

Sorry for the long post. I needed to get that out.....

EDIT: Lizzy P are you a Christian? Coz' I am. I like your signature. :)

Last edited by Catfish Billy; 07-08-2012 at 08:31 AM.
Catfish Billy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 01:29 PM   #8 
ANHEL123

That is the reason why i don't like when people breed bettas or other animals . I hate to go to the pet stores to see them there. But if i buy betta then i always go to pet stores only to rescue another one.

LizzyP it good that you e mailed them. May be the more people complain is better? Can you give me link where i can make complained also?
May we can help like that? At least one store?
Like someone wrote that store cares more for fish supplies that we buy, then they care that we buy a fish. But if they just know how annoying we see our favorite fish in that condition, that i breather to go to the store that do better care. I wish they realize that....
Also i think it depend on the manager and people who work there..
ANHEL123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 01:35 PM   #9 
bettasareawesome

Man these thing I've heard about petco and petsmart are terrible! I've seen betta fish at walmart dead and sick in there little cups. Where I live though the store owners are much better I recently went to petco and didnt see any dead or sick looking bettas and at my local pet store I dont think I've ever seen a dead betta. I cant believe how terrible people treat fish and other animals! it make me sad and angry.
bettasareawesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 02:38 PM   #10 
lelei

That is the best way to get resolve, put it in writing, and go above the managers, they need to have the Coporate Offices know that not just one Petco, all in the chain needs a complete overhaul on Proper Fish Care!!

I go to my local Petco, and most fish are in ok conditions, but at times, and yes, I beleive it depends on the employees, and the time of day..or day of week, when your find more deplorable conditions. But it should not be that way, everyday of the week the fish should be in the best possible condition, starting with getting them out of those cups, and getting them into something else, like the divided tanks, or bigger cups, that should be brought to Corporate's attention too, they could easily order something bigger to house the bettas in for temporary status. or the ones that have been there longer, start moving them into bigger quarters, so that they won't have to endure the long stay..I know some say they've seen the same fish there for months, in thier local PetCo/Smart..they are all the same, and it is called animal/fish abuse, and it's wrong, and needs to change.
lelei is offline   Reply With Quote