Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-06-2012, 07:38 PM   #1 
morganville

Saved 2 betta fish and need some advice

Greetings, this is my first time on this site.

I have had one veil tail betta for about a year now named Claudia. He's doing great in his 2.5 mini bow. :)

However, while my local petshop I happened to look over at the bettas and saw 2 that needed some help. Their water was low and one had a ripped tail. Having some extra 1 mini bow's at home, I picked them both up.

Musta is an almost all black Crowntail and he's pretty healthy overall. No issues so far since i've brought him home.

Tarnish though is the one I need some help with. He apparently is a half-moon (though I don't really care what type he is) but his gains don't really seem to show it. His tail is also ripped and by ripped I mean a small chunk on the bottom is completely missing.

I just put him in his new 1 mini bow too and while Musta is flaring at him, he seems to have no interest in flaring back. He had just been flaring like a normal healthy betta before I moved him into the new bowl. Perhaps I stressed him?

Sorry if this is becoming a huge essay but to be frank to the point, just wondering what I can do to give Tarnish an environment that will aid in his fin regrowth and promote overall healthy half-moon fins.

Thanks!
morganville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 08:29 PM   #2 
Tikibirds

The best thing for him would be clean, warm conditioned water. You can also add in 1 teaspoon per gallon of AQUARIUM salt if you wish. I usually add it to all new bettas. I can help fight off bacterial issues with torn fins. However do not use it for more then 10 days.

Stress coat is also good to have for fin regrowth and can be used as a conditioner.

Do you have plants and a cave or something for him to hide in? It may help him feel more secure in his new home.
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 08:36 PM   #3 
morganville

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikibirds View Post
The best thing for him would be clean, warm conditioned water. You can also add in 1 teaspoon per gallon of AQUARIUM salt if you wish. I usually add it to all new bettas. I can help fight off bacterial issues with torn fins. However do not use it for more then 10 days.

Stress coat is also good to have for fin regrowth and can be used as a conditioner.

Do you have plants and a cave or something for him to hide in? It may help him feel more secure in his new home.
No I haven't been able to get the two rescues plants yet.
Old 07-06-2012, 08:45 PM   #4 
BETTACHKALOVE

Sorry guys i am cooking and writing lol and i put it at the same time but i guess we have the same idea ...

How small is their bowls?
If it smaller then a gall you need to do 100% water changes every about 3 days.
I would suggest do not share anything between your new fish and Claudia since you are not sure if any of them can be sick. Or i even would say don't share anything between each of them.

If Tarnish acting lethargic i would suggest aquarium salt . They might don't eat but doesn't mean anything since a lot of bettas don't eat at the beginning when you bring them from home. Aquarium salt has antibacterial / fungal effect

Is his tail (Tarnish) has any fuzzy,cottony like patches?

How much and how often you do water changes for Claudia just curious?

So nice of you to rescue them.
BETTACHKALOVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 08:47 PM   #5 
morganville

Quote:
Originally Posted by BETTACHKALOVE View Post
How small is their bowls?
If it smaller then a gall you need to do 100% water changes every about 3 days.
I would suggest do not share anything between your new fish and Claudia since you are not sure if any of them can be sick. Or i even would say don't share anything between each of them.

If Tarnish acting lethargic i would suggest aquarium salt . They might don't eat but doesn't mean anything since a lot of bettas don't eat at the beginning when you bring them from home. Aquarium salt has antibacterial / fungal effect

Is his tail (Tarnish) has any fuzzy,cottony like patches?

How much and how often you do water changes for Claudia just curious?

So nice of you to rescue them.

Claudia is in a 2.5 gal tank with a filter. Tarnish and Musta are both in their own 1 gal tanks with filters.

Their filters are off right now so they can get used to the new environment.

They have been eating well though since i brought them home
Old 07-06-2012, 08:49 PM   #6 
BETTACHKALOVE

I guess if we have the same idea i will write how to do aq salt treatment.

Pre mix aq salt 1tso/gall in one gall jug for the right dosage. Shake it well make sure it dissolved. You will need to do daily 100% water changes for 10 days.

Make sure you take time to acclimate him to new temperature /chemist

Sorry posted at the same time again:)
Old 07-06-2012, 08:53 PM   #7 
BETTACHKALOVE

You even have filter for one gallon. Be careful make sure it not too strong for them. I just read two post when betta got socked inside of the tubes. I don't know other people recommendation but i would not use filter for one gall. Just keep water clean for one gall do 1-50 and 1-100% water changes a week. The same i would do for 2.5 gall even with filter.
Old 07-06-2012, 09:02 PM   #8 
teeneythebetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by BETTACHKALOVE View Post
You even have filter for one gallon. Be careful make sure it not too strong for them. I just read two post when betta got socked inside of the tubes. I don't know other people recommendation but i would not use filter for one gall. Just keep water clean for one gall do 1-50 and 1-100% water changes a week. The same i would do for 2.5 gall even with filter.
If the filter intake is too strong, just put some aquarium sponge or foam around/in the intake.
teeneythebetta is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
crown tail, fin, half moon, rescue, veil tail