Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-06-2012, 07:46 PM   #1 
AquaKai
Member
 
AquaKai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Ohio, USA
Needs Something More...

I just set up this tank yesterday and I feel as though it is quite blah. I mean it is simplistic but not... hmm what's the word? Engaging(?) enough for Benjamin. I'm thinking more plants but I'm not sure which types would look good. Or perhaps another decoration or a new one entirely.

It is a 2.5g Mini-Bow and I have a 15w CFL 6500K bulb in there with some gravel. So, any opinions would be great!

Here's the tank:

AquaKai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 08:47 PM   #2 
Aahnay
Member
 
Aahnay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: High plains desert of Southern Idaho
Well, you could print out something to put on the back of the tank.. and then, push some of the gravel up under the plant making a hill, and push it to the back corner, adding a little depth.

Its a small tank, and you have to clean it all the time, so plastic plants may be easier to handle. You could add, moss like around the bell. making it look like it lives there, instead of sitting there? And add a tiny bit of same moss to the bottom of the tree.

I like the bell a lot. Hmmm, perhaps add some glass, or glass marbles to shine it up, just 3.

Really, its looks nice now, and im sure you had fun. Oh yeah, add a heater!

If you dont care for the brightness of the purple edges in contrast with the gravel, you can paint them. But, you just be careful when cleaning and watch for chips, etc. You can also use any number of duct tape colors too, or even the sparkle tapes.

Last edited by Aahnay; 07-06-2012 at 08:50 PM.
Aahnay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 08:53 PM   #3 
LebronTheBetta
Member
 
LebronTheBetta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: MD
What about a Betta Log? It chips I've heard. But I think you could get rid of it.
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 09:10 PM   #4 
AquaKai
Member
 
AquaKai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Ohio, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aahnay View Post
Well, you could print out something to put on the back of the tank.. and then, push some of the gravel up under the plant making a hill, and push it to the back corner, adding a little depth.

Its a small tank, and you have to clean it all the time, so plastic plants may be easier to handle. You could add, moss like around the bell. making it look like it lives there, instead of sitting there? And add a tiny bit of same moss to the bottom of the tree.

I like the bell a lot. Hmmm, perhaps add some glass, or glass marbles to shine it up, just 3.

Really, its looks nice now, and im sure you had fun. Oh yeah, add a heater!

If you dont care for the brightness of the purple edges in contrast with the gravel, you can paint them. But, you just be careful when cleaning and watch for chips, etc. You can also use any number of duct tape colors too, or even the sparkle tapes.
Thanks for the ideas! I'll get some moss later and maybe a few plants for behind the bell as well. I think that I'll paint the purple edges a dark brown. I think that'll look better. I did some rearranging with some of your ideas with what I had in some of my other tanks.



Quote:
Originally Posted by LebronTheBetta View Post
What about a Betta Log? It chips I've heard. But I think you could get rid of it.
I'll look into that for sure. I'll check dimensions and see if it'll fit because I think Benjamin would love it
AquaKai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 09:11 PM   #5 
Perseusmom
TFK Moderator
 
Perseusmom's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Knoxville, Tennessee
I really like the color of the gravel, is that a real plant ? It sure looks real, very nice job I think and since you have to do a lot of water changes simple is best or just another smaller plant next to the bell which is very pretty and Benjamin is beautiful love his colors !
Attached Images
 
Perseusmom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 09:14 PM   #6 
Perseusmom
TFK Moderator
 
Perseusmom's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Knoxville, Tennessee
I love the purple..lol
Perseusmom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 09:14 PM   #7 
AquaKai
Member
 
AquaKai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Ohio, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perseusmom View Post
I really like the color of the gravel, is that a real plant ? It sure looks real, very nice job I think and since you have to do a lot of water changes simple is best or just another smaller plant next to the bell which is very pretty and Benjamin is beautiful love his colors !
Thanks and that plant is real. I have a smaller anubais that might fit the bill for a small plant. I'll see how it looks. And thanks, I think Benjamin is very colorful as well!
AquaKai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 09:17 PM   #8 
Laki
Member
 
Laki's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: St. John's NL
You could just cluster some mid-section plants in there. Java fern and some taller ones might add to the jungle-look. My fish love exploring in the long coiled silk plant in their tanks.
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 09:41 PM   #9 
Aus
Member
 
Aus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Australia!
If you need to do a lot of water changes, I have found potted plants (in those little ceramic pots) the best thing out. They can be lifted out of the tank and popped back in again, and they don't seem to mind a bit. I've got anubias and crypts in pots. Java fern and anubias on wood are also handy that way, but the wood can colour your water a bit at first.

If you're planting, you could add a few more mini swords in a bunch, they look nice clustered together.
Aus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 09:47 PM   #10 
AquaKai
Member
 
AquaKai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Ohio, USA
I have some driftwood I could put in there, and an anubais that could go in as well... Hmmm... I'm thinking java fern behind the bell, rotala rotundiolia in the middle and maybe take out the rocks and aponogeton and put the driftwood and anubias in it's place, then get some duckweed for floaters(I'm ok with removing it) I'll draw up a sketch later.

Edit: I don't know if I really want to get rid of the aponogeton and rocks, here's what I had drew up before (sorry for the low quality picture my iPod doesn't have the best camera):

Last edited by AquaKai; 07-06-2012 at 09:54 PM.
AquaKai is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
2.5g, aquarium, aquascape, betta, plants

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:46 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.