Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-06-2012, 03:10 PM   #1 
LizzyP

Torn fin, waaah.

Dumbledore tore his beautiful fin, and it's my fault for putting a hide spot too close to the tank wall.

How can I make it heal faster? I know some say AQ salt, but I'd prefer not to really have to add salt, but if I have to I will. You think just some stress coat and warm water and a rearranged tank will help him?

LizzyP
LizzyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 03:12 PM   #2 
LebronTheBetta

Clean water should fix it. Take away any decorations that could rip his fins. Add aquarium salt if it's that bad. High-protein foods are optional.
I hope he gets better! :) BTW, I messaged you. :D
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 03:50 PM   #3 
Geomancer

I wouldn't add salt, it causes stress.

Let it heal naturally, "short cuts" always have a cost.
Geomancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 06:07 PM   #4 
LizzyP

I got some stress coat at Petco and will add that tonight when I get home.

I think what happened was the new hidey rock I got I placed too close to the side of the aquarium, and when he tried to swim between he might've gotten stuck. I only have the new rock, a decorative log (no sharp edges, it's been there since he's had the tank), and 1 live plant. Plus filter & heater.
Old 07-06-2012, 08:47 PM   #5 
ihatefirewalls

I'm always amazed by how fast torn fins heal. I usually see new webbing within a day, and complete recovery within a week. I'm sure it depends on how severe the injury is though.

Since you're not panicking and spamming post, I'll assume the tear is not too bad :P. Stress coat alone should be fine since it's just a minor injury. I wouldn't use salt unless you notice fin rot.

My main concern would be finding out how he tore his find and fixing that.
ihatefirewalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 10:57 PM   #6 
LizzyP

I think he's either biting, or it tore on the new hidey rock I got him. When I put it in the tank last night, I didn't realize how close to the glass it was and when I noticed the tear, I checked the rock and in one spot it was super close to the side of the tank, so he might've just got it stuck. I rearranged his tank this evening, took out his old log to make room for the new one now there's plenty of space all over. I felt the inside of the new rock and nothing is sharp, everything has smooth edges, and holes I can fit my thumb through.

Or he's biting. I'm praying it isn't, but it is a little half moon tear on the end of his dorsal. I haven't noticed biting, but I haven't been watching him 100%. Who knows. I really hope he isn't chewing his tail off...Took a while for it to recover from some nasty fin rot, now he's gonna chew it all off again -_-. IF YOU DON'T WANT A TAIL, FINE. BE THAT WAY.
Old 07-07-2012, 05:14 AM   #7 
LizzyP

Well...False alarm.

I was looking at the pictures I have of Dumbledore and he's always had this "tear". I am such an idiot. -_-. It might be from fin rot he had before that's regrowing. Will keep everyone updated.