Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-06-2012, 09:24 PM   #1 
finnfinnfriend

King betta question...

Are the "king" bettas from Petco really that big? Like are they really that noticeably bigger than regular sized betta? Are they so big they need a bigger tank?(like 10gal)?
finnfinnfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 09:54 PM   #2 
LebronTheBetta

They're like 1/2 of the size of Giants. They're only like 1-2 inches bigger than average. I think the minimum size is 3-5 Gallons.
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 09:58 PM   #3 
finnfinnfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by LebronTheBetta View Post
They're like 1/2 of the size of Giants. They're only like 1-2 inches bigger than average. I think the minimum size is 3-5 Gallons.
aww man. I really want a giant but they are so expensive and nowhere to be found! lol
Old 07-07-2012, 09:37 AM   #4 
a123andpoof

Yes kings are bigger. I personally wouldn't keep one in anything smaller than 5 gallons. I have two. I had one in a 1.5 for a while and that was to cramped. I had one in a 2.5 and that was to cramped. Being shorter finned they swim faster, and more than many of the long finned varietys. I found my guy at petco and my other at walmart.
a123andpoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 10:50 AM   #5 
databetta

I just got a king betta at Petco. I was just getting food but couldnt resist! he was a gem. and yes, noticeably larger than all other types they had. The body and mouth are much bigger than that of a fujll grown half moon or crowntail for example. Kings and plakats are my favorite. I love their fin patterns.
databetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 08:04 PM   #6 
MrVampire181

They're not impressive to me just because they aren't that big. True giant bettas are about 3". Kings are 2.5" at most and thick. Most of my imported bettas are their size.
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 08:15 PM   #7 
lelei

Yes, they are huge..and not even full grown..if I get one, which I really want to I will devote a 5 gal or a 10 gal for growth, prob start out with a 5 then go to a 10..they have very noticeably larger bodies, and mouths..I was shocked to see one, because not knowing the different varieties of bettas, I didn't think they could be that big.
lelei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 08:17 PM   #8 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

3"? Really? So you pay that much more for .5" of fish? That's kind of stupid.
Posted via Mobile Device
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 11:03 PM   #9 
thekoimaiden

I recently "stole" a HM king from Petco because they had him labled as just a regular HM. I got a $25 fish for $14. I've got him in a 1 gal right now and feel really bad for him. He's bouncing off the walls. His permanent home (a 29 gal community) is about to undergo a huge move, so he'll have to wait it out for another 4 days. I really don't think anything less than a 5 gal could contain the little guy. I'll see if I can get an actual measurement when I move him.
thekoimaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 11:11 PM   #10 
finnfinnfriend

Oh okay well luckily I already have a 10 gal setup that I bought a while ago because it was on sale ;). So now I want to get a big guy to put in it. Someone on here has a big 3+in veiltail up for adoption so I might just adopt him :).