Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-06-2012, 10:10 PM   #1 
JessSH

Fin rot or normal color on new betta? (Pics)

I rescued my lil guy, Herc, from PetCo on Tues & he's doing a ton better, but I'm confused if he has fin rot or not. As you can see in the 1st pic (taken the day I got him) he was really pale & the end of his fins looked kind of crumbly & were a dark red. There were no gray or silvery spots on his fins like there is in the 2nd pic which is from him today. Now the red on the end of his fins are lighter & look to be healing. Since his body is so much darker now, I'm wondering if that could be the cause of the dark gray/silvery spots. Also, I watched him fin bite at the store (which is why I ended up getting him) so could that be the cause of the darker red on the end of the fins? I want to treat him as conservatively as I can because although he is gaining strength, my lil guy still a little weak, so as soon as I can, I want to stop the aquarium salt. Any thoughts? Can I stop the salt? I'm doing 100% water change everyday right now, should I continue that? It seems to stress him a little, but I'm not really worried about it.
Thanks in advance for the advice!! Every question Ive asked for far has been answered quickly & throughly & I can't express how grateful I am for that! I love my lil Herc & worry so much right now!

Housing
What size is your tank? 1.75 gallons
What temperature is your tank? ~76
Does your tank have a filter? Haven't set it up yet but just got a TOM Mini Internal Filter
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Is your tank heated? Yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? An Anubias plant

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Omega One
How often do you feed your betta fish? 2-3 pellets 3 times a day, fast Sat

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change? Every day
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 100%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change?
I'm adding things slowly to the water. The night I got him I treated with just SeaChem Prime. 2nd night, added a dose of aquarium salt & SeaChem. 3rd night another dose of salt & a double dose of Stress Coat+ as recommended on the label, no SeaChem. Waiting for VitaChem to arrive.

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?
Not tested
Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? Much bright colors since I got him.
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? More interested in his tank, swimming more & now devours his food.
When did you start noticing the symptoms? Got him on Tues.
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? See above under maintenance.
Does your fish have any history of being ill? Not sure
How old is your fish (approximately)? Not sure
Attached Images

JessSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 10:50 PM   #2 
Tikibirds

You can stop the salt now if you want. The most important thing is clean water and many people have said they just make sure the water is super clean and do not use salt at all unless its a severe case of rot. Assuming he stops bitting, the fins will regrow.

I would stop the salt and do the regular 2X a week WC schedule - less water changes should lead to less stress

does he have rot? I can't tell either.
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote