Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-06-2012, 03:49 PM   #1 
Sadie555

Exclamation Fish Stressed? (HELP)

I just did a 50% water change for my girl, and she's losing her color fast in her fins, but she's gone very pink all over. Looks VERY unhealthy.

Housing
What size is your tank? 3 gallons
What temperature is your tank? 78-82 degrees F
Does your tank have a filter? yes
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? yes
Is your tank heated? yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? none

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? pellets
How often do you feed your betta fish? 3 pellets 2x daily

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change? first time
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 50%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Seachem prime

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? pinker body, but pale colored fins and pink face (used to be bright red)
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? (seems agitated from water change)
When did you start noticing the symptoms? JUST as I was filling up the tank with new water...have not transferred her back into the tank yet
Have you started treating your fish? No. If so, how?
Does your fish have any history of being ill? No. (Other than not eating the first few days)
How old is your fish (approximately)? 1 week since I've gotten her.
Sadie555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 03:51 PM   #2 
LebronTheBetta

She must have gotten into shock. What temperature was the new water you put in? It has to be the same temperature or he's going into shock.
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 03:54 PM   #3 
Sadie555

She is in the same old water. I took it from her tank and that's what she is in now. Then I did a 50% water change, and she is still in that old water. I just turned the filter back on and a youtube video told me to wait 1 hour after turning it back on before putting the fish back in.

The only other difference is the lack of air stone at the moment, and also a lack of a heater for her.
Old 07-06-2012, 04:02 PM   #4 
WetBetta

Can you post a pic of her?

Sounds like she is really stressed. IMO you should try to leave the fish in the container if you are doing anything but a 100% water change. And gradually ... very slowly add the conditioned fresh water to the container. And very gently at that.

Before you did this water change, how long had it been since you did a water change?
WetBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 04:04 PM   #5 
LebronTheBetta

This is her 1st time.
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 04:05 PM   #6 
Sadie555

Last time I did a "water change" was about 4 days ago. This is the first time of her water change in her new tank.
Attached Images

Last edited by Sadie555; 07-06-2012 at 04:10 PM.
Old 07-06-2012, 04:33 PM   #7 
Sadie555

I carefully put her into the tank again. She has lost a bit of color, and she's a little freaked out, but at least she's back into her tank. I'll let you know how she does at this point.
Old 07-06-2012, 05:20 PM   #8 
Blue Fish

Since she's new and probably young, I'd bet she was just frightened by the water change. Everything you did is normal, and if she started losing color just after being taken out of her tank and put into her cup (no change in water or anything else having changed her water parameters) it sounds like she's just freaked. I almost wonder if she's not remembering going into the tiny cup and going to the pet store. I don't know how much memory bettas have, but if she experienced trauma by being taken from her breeder, shipped, and then living in the pet store, being put back into that little cup for the first time since going into the big tank could have negative associations for her. (Assuming that betta brains work this way...I'm really just guessing here, so I could be completly wrong, feel free to correct me if someone else knows more! :) I've known dogs and horses to have associations like this, and that's what it sounds like is happening with your betta.

For future water changes, you might try:
- leaving her in if at all possible (as was previously suggested by WetBetta)
- turn the lights out and only use a small lamp or other light if you can see well enough (low light eases their stress)
- put a plant or some other small hiding spot into her cup with her so she's not so alone in there
- try acclimatizing her to the cup. Float it in her tank, fill it with water and let it sink to the bottom, just let it be part of her decor for awhile and see if she starts to explore/examine it.
- when you put her into the cup during changes, try giving her a treat like a bloodworm, so the experience means more about food, and less about stress. :)

I know my guys were always freaked out during their first few water changes, and then they started to get used to them and didn't worry so much.
Except for Buckley...who just gets angry. ;) He pouts while he's in his cup. ;)

Good luck to you, and I hope that she's feeling better quickly! :)
Blue Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 07:02 PM   #9 
Sadie555

She seems to be alright now. Color has returned for the most part. Thanks everyone!
Old 07-06-2012, 10:57 PM   #10 
WetBetta

Very good to hear!!
WetBetta is offline   Reply With Quote