Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-06-2012, 10:24 PM   #1 
BS2004

My Betta Has Fin Rot!

Hello!

I had a beta a year ago in a tank with three other fish (platys). Turns out one platy was sick and after 2 days away I came home to three dead fish. My beta looked like it was ripped to shreds so I assumed it was fin rot. I cleaned the tank out extensively (it was a baby bio orb) and left it unused for a 11 months.

In April or March of this year I got a new beta. When I put him in the tank I noticed a day or two later his fins were starting to develop fin rot (small whole, few frays in fins) I immediately took him out and put him in a 1 gallon bowl. (I know a bowl is not ideal but I needed him out of that tank). He recovered quite nicely until a few days ago.

He now has fin rot again. I sterilized the bowl (no soaps just heat) and changed the water and he now has some clear "stuff" on his fins which I believe is re-growth. Since his tail was pretty far gone I decided to give him one does of bettafix in case his fin rot was severe. I put the bettafix in about 30 mins ago, but due to all of the horror stories I read about it (even though I read a ton of great thighs too) I'm now so scared. He is swimming around fine, has come up to the surface a few times but he isn't staying at the surface by any means. Is it possible he is gasping for air or am I just being paranoid? Any help would be greatly appreciated, I do not want this fish to go the way of the last.

Also...is it possible that the tank could have given it to him and will I ever be able to use it again? I would love for him to have more space but not at the risk of his health.

He is also a little jumpy lately...he just darted away as I tried to take a photo and he moves away when he sees my hands...

Sorry for the millions of questions
Attached Images

Last edited by BS2004; 07-06-2012 at 10:26 PM.
BS2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 09:53 AM   #2 
Sena Hansler

Tanks do not carry fin rot If you are worried about the tank, clean it. I use Vinegar and hot water, half and half, and scrub the tank with a clean cloth. I do the same with gravel, ornaments... Then I rinse extremely well a few times.

As for the rot... How often do you clean the tank? Was size of tank? How much do you change?
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 10:15 AM   #3 
BS2004

Thanks for the advice on cleaning the tank. Previously I was only using really hot water and letting it dry in the sun. Is it possible that fin rot can live in rocks? I have ceramic media rocks in my tank. It was a 4 gallon tank and I changed the water every two weeks. Currently in the 1 gallon bowl I clean the water every 2 days.
BS2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 10:23 AM   #4 
Sena Hansler

I clean all my tanks every week Asides from the 1-2 gallons which were minimum twice a week, but usually more.

It's really just bacteria that resides in anything. Plants, decor, rocks, etc. Usually if a fish is sick I like to clean it out, just to make sure

When the platys died, they fouled the water. That's usually how it happens... Also take in mind if a betta is stressed, he may tail bite - which sometimes can be confused as fin rot.
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fin rot, fin rot damage