Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-07-2012, 12:41 AM   #1 
ashyq

My path to being a good betta owner

The road to getting my first Betta has been a bit of a rollercoaster. Last semester, I bought a 1.5 gallon tank to keep in the dorms. This one to be exact. http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...ductId=3804454

Couldn't afford to also get a heater so I just got a goldfish. (I've obviously come to learn that this small of a tank is terrible for a goldfish) The finished survived the whole semester but died on the transfer back home.

Fast-forward to now, I've moved into an apartment and decided to get my aquarium set up again. End up looking at the Bettas and decided I would get some. I knew you couldn't house a male together but asked the people at the store about two females and they said it would be okay. I of course have now come to learn that just two females in that small of a tank does NOT work.

Luckily, I caught on to this and separated them with only some slight nips in the tail fins. I found a friend who was interested in taking the second Betta since she herself was wanting to get a fish and I don't really have the space for two decent sized tanks.

I've definitely learned that I need to stop making such ignorant purchases so now I have a few questions:

Is it okay if I keep my girl in this 1.5 gallon tank? I've read on these forums that you should have at least a 2.5 gal tank but I've already spent money on this tank and don't know if I have the money or the means to replace it.

Is the filter to strong on this tank? I noticed that it gives off a bit of a current and she has a tough time swimming near it. Should i do away with the filter all together or is there a way to stymie the flow?

Will my female be okay on her own or will she get lonely?

I intend to get a heater and a thermometer tomorrow. this is one I found online for my size tank. http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...4&lmdn=Wattage Will it be okay or are there other recommendations? I can't really go above this price range.

I have already purchased the proper pellet food, blood worm treats, and water conditioner(dechlorinator). The tank came with two plastic plants which I have replaced with one larger silk plant that has flowy leaves for her to hide in. I already had a small dragon ornament and have also purchased a minicastle that she can also hide in.

Is there anything else I should get?

Any other tips for a new owner?

Sorry for such a long post, I'm just excited and want to make sure I do a good job! I'll post pictures once I have access to a camera.
ashyq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 12:55 AM   #2 
LebronTheBetta

OK. Lets start... Yes, she could be kept in that Tank. As long as you do water changes she could stay. *Phew* The water changes, I would say 1 50% and 1 100% per week. Next the filter, you could baffle the filter with a sponge. IMO you don't actually need a filter for a 1.5 Gallon. Filters are best for tanks 5 and up gallons. Betta Fish aren't lonely. They are solitary! They never get lonely. I suggest the Hydor THEO heater. But get a heater as soon as possible. If you have enough money, please buy a bigger tank. Betta Fish can live in that type of Tank, but it's not ideal.
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 01:16 AM   #3 
ashyq

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm trying to figure out the petsmart return policy. I didn't think I could return it since it has been used for a few months but I actually may be able to for store credit. In that case, I can put it towards a bigger tank. If not, I'll have to make do until I have a bit of free money to spend on the tank.

The heater you recommended I am only finding as an online exclusive at Petco and amazon. Would it be okay to order it online or should I not even wait that long?

I truly appreciate all the help!
Old 07-07-2012, 01:17 AM   #4 
LizzyP

I have a tank from Petsmart I bought for $35 with a Pet Perks card. It's a Marineland 3 gallon tank w/filter that does have adjustable flow, but the current is still too strong for my liking so I baffle it with a filter sponge. However, Petco is having a sale right now with whatever their membership card is, $1 per gallon. So a 10 gallon is $10, etc.

As for the heater, I highly recommend a heater with a thermostat on it. Bettas like water temps of high 70s, low 80s. My experience with just a submersible heater was that it didn't get above 75-76F. Thermostat heaters are slightly more expensive, but totally worth it.

Unless you get a 20gal tank, you can have a betta sorority. Other than that, no. Do not get another betta to keep with her. You will end up with beaten up/dead fish. They like being by themselves, they are much happier by themselves.

My tank: http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...385&lmdn=Brand

Hope this helps, enjoy your new fish! :)
LizzyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 01:23 AM   #5 
LebronTheBetta

You could buy it on eBay. It's a lower cost. ^_^ What exactly is the temperature of the Tank? Is she still shaken? If she's stressed or weak, I would get the Heater at your store as soon as possible. If she's not, you can get the heater from eBay. Or any Online store of what you choose. :)
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 02:02 AM   #6 
ashyq

You have both been very helpful! I know my family has some sort of membership to both petco and petsmart but I'm not finding the $1 per gallon deal on the website. Maybe it's only in select stores?

I'll definitely check out ebay and also my local craiglist. It would be nice to find something I could purchase instantly.

Unfortunately, I do not have a thermometer that I could accurately measure the water temperature with. I was completely ignorant until I actually started doing research in the past few days. However, she seems to be doing fine. She's swimming around and sometimes hiding in her plant. She has a good appetite when I feed her and doesn't seem lethargic at all. It might be because my apartment has been pretty hot lately so the water temperature isn't too terrible? It's been three days and she's still doing okay so I think I can just order the heater you recommended online.
Old 07-07-2012, 02:10 AM   #7 
ashyq

Okay I've found a 2.5 gallon tank on craiglist for 7 dollars and it looks to be in good condition. Obviously the bigger the tank the better but is this tank a suitable size? It's the minimum requirement on the basic care sticky. I don't have a separate table for the tank so I'm constricted by desk space. Just want a happy medium between large enough fish tank and space to work on my desk.
Old 07-07-2012, 02:14 AM   #8 
LizzyP

I've heard a couple people talk about it on here, maybe it's an in-store only kind of thing as I can't find it online either.

Thermometers are pretty cheap. I just use a stick on one from TopFin I got for like $3 at Petsmart. However, I would suggest getting one that suction cups inside tank itself. My stick on one is starting to peel off. :(
Old 07-07-2012, 02:15 AM   #9 
LizzyP

Also try freecycle.org. It's things that people are trying to *give* away. Maybe you could find something there?
Old 07-07-2012, 02:18 AM   #10 
ashyq

Yea I intend to get a thermometer on my next petstore visit. and I'll check that website out too!

Tags
aquarium set up, female betta, new owner, questions